Calculating the Number of Collisions Required for Neutron Moderation

  • Thread starter Thread starter clynne21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
clynne21
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How many collisions will be necessary to slow a neutron down from 14.1 MeV to thermal energy (0.0253 eV)? A=24


Homework Equations


E'=[(A-1)/(A+1)]^2 x E


The Attempt at a Solution


The calculation is not an issue- I understand how to use the equation and what numbers go where.
I can use this calculation a hundred or so times to get to the thermal energy, but I'm hoping there is an equation I am missing that will give me the number of collisions instead of the energy after each collision. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and a huge timesaver for me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi clynne21! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

if E' = kE, then after n times En = knE, or kn = En/E …

can you take it from there? :smile:​
 
Hi tiny-tim!
Awesome- yes I absolutely can take it from there- thank you so much! Just have a seriously tired brain and couldn't wrap it around making that easy :-)