Calculating the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal

• Thread starter jbrown110
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

The problem said:
"Determine the magnitude of the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal oriented with its [100] direction parallel to the loading axis. "

The Schmid factor is the

"cos([tex]\phi[/tex])*cos([tex]\lambda[/tex])"

term in the equation for resolved shear stress.

I know that the slip planes for an FCC single crystal are the four {111} planes, and the slip directions are the three <110> directions inside each of the {111} planes.

To solve for [tex]\phi[/tex], the angle between the <111> direction and the loading direction, <100>, I said that it was equal to

Cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex]((1*1+1*0+1*0)/[tex]\sqrt{(1^2+1^2+1^2)*(1^2)}[/tex])

That comes out to 1/[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

And using the same equation, I found that [tex]\lambda[/tex], the angle between the loading direction, <100>, and the slip direction, <01-1>, is [tex]\pi[/tex]/2

Multiplying [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] should have given me the schmid factor, according to my textbook, but I couldn't get the right answer.

The answer is .408, but I kept getting something different and I'm not sure why. If some one could explain this to me, I would be very grateful. Thanks

Answers and Replies

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi jbrown110, welcome to PF. Your slip direction doesn't lie within your slip plane. You're going to have a hard time obtaining slip that way. :smile:

So, basically I picked the one direction that doesn't work for the [111] plane. haha

I reworked it with the other two possible slip directions and they both gave the right answer.

Thanks for the reply.

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You're welcome!