Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    The problem said:
    "Determine the magnitude of the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal oriented with its [100] direction parallel to the loading axis. "

The Schmid factor is the

"cos([tex]\phi[/tex])*cos([tex]\lambda[/tex])"

term in the equation for resolved shear stress.

I know that the slip planes for an FCC single crystal are the four {111} planes, and the slip directions are the three <110> directions inside each of the {111} planes.

To solve for [tex]\phi[/tex], the angle between the <111> direction and the loading direction, <100>, I said that it was equal to

Cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex]((1*1+1*0+1*0)/[tex]\sqrt{(1^2+1^2+1^2)*(1^2)}[/tex])

That comes out to 1/[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

And using the same equation, I found that [tex]\lambda[/tex], the angle between the loading direction, <100>, and the slip direction, <01-1>, is [tex]\pi[/tex]/2

Multiplying [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] should have given me the schmid factor, according to my textbook, but I couldn't get the right answer.

The answer is .408, but I kept getting something different and I'm not sure why. If some one could explain this to me, I would be very grateful. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi jbrown110, welcome to PF. Your slip direction doesn't lie within your slip plane. You're going to have a hard time obtaining slip that way. :smile:

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    So, basically I picked the one direction that doesn't work for the [111] plane. haha

I reworked it with the other two possible slip directions and they both gave the right answer.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook