Calculating the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse

In summary: You must find the cartesian equation linking ##x## and ##y##.In summary, to find the tangential vector and normal vector of an ellipse given by (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2)=1, you can use the parametrization x(t)=a*cos(t) and y(t)=b*sin(t) to get the tangential vector ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt)) = (-ay/b , bx/a) and the normal vector (-ay/b , bx/a)/(\sqrt{(ay/b)^2 + (bx/a)^2}). To find an equation for the tangent, you must use the fact that the tangent line is linear and take the derivative of the arc to
Nowayout

Homework Statement

The ellipse is given as (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2)=1

I´m meant to calculate a tangential vector, a normal vector and find an equation for the tangent using a random point (x0,y0).

I´m meant to do this in 2 ways: firstly by using the parametrization x(t)=a*cos(t) and y(t)=b*sin(t) and secondly by solving the equation for x or y.

Homework Equations

[/B]
The formula for a tangential vector is ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt)).

The formula for a normal vector is +- ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))/||((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))||

The tangent is linear, so it should have the form y=kx+d

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)=a*cos(t) and y(t)=b*sin(t), so the tangential vector is ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt)) = (-a*sin(t), b*cos(t)) = (-ay/b , bx/a)

||((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))|| = \sqrt{(ay/b)^2 + (bx/a)^2} , so the normal vector is (-ay/b , bx/a)/(\sqrt{(ay/b)^2 + (bx/a)^2})

I´m not sure how to find an equation for the tangent. I can use y=kx+d and I think that k is (-(a*y0)/b , (b*x0)/a) , but I don´t know how to continue from there.
For the second part:

x = \sqrt{a^2- (y^2*a^2)/b^2}

y= \sqrt{b^2-(x^2*b^2)/a^2}

So do I just have to calculate (dx/dy, dy/dx) now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your ellipse is parametrized by ##f(t)=(a\cos(t), b\cos(t) )##.
A tangent vector at point ##M(t) = f(t)## to the ellipse is given by the derivative of arc ##f## at ##t##.

The tangent line to the ellipse at point ##M_0(x_0,y_0)## is the set of points ##M(x,y)## such that ##\vec{M_0M}## belongs to the vector line directed by the tangent vector at ##M_0## (EDIT: in other terms, if ##M_0 = f(t_0)##, then ##\vec{M_0M}## and ##f'(t_0)## are colinear). How would you turn this into a cartesian equation ?

Last edited:
geoffrey159 said:
Yes, your ellipse is parametrized by ##f(t)=(a\cos(t), b\cos(t) )##.
A tangent vector at point ##M(t) = f(t)## to the ellipse is given by the derivative of arc ##f## at ##t##.

The tangent line to the ellipse at point ##M_0(x_0,y_0)## is the set of points ##M(x,y)## such that ##\vec{M_0M}## belongs to the vector line directed by the tangent vector at ##M_0## (EDIT: in other terms, if ##M_0 = f(t_0)##, then ##\vec{M_0M}## and ##f'(t_0)## are colinear). How would you turn this into a cartesian equation ?

Thank you. So the tangent and normal vectors are correct?

How do I work out the vector line directed by the tangent vector at ##M_0## ? The tangent vector is (-ay/b , bx/a), how do I work out a line from that?

What is the determinant of two colinear vectors in the plane ?

Zero

Yes !
But now you are almost done so I can't help you anymore

if ##M_0=f(t_0)## , then ##{M_0M}## and ##f'(t_0)## are collinear, so the determinant must be zero. That means that
det ( ## \begin{array}{ccc}
t-x_0 & -(a*y_0)/b \\
t-y_0 & (b*x_0)/a
\end{array} ## ) = (t-x_0)*(b*x_0)/a + (a*y_0)/b * t-y_0 =0Am I on the right track?

No, ##M(x,y)## is not equatl to ##(t,t)## !
The answer is ##\frac{xx_0}{a^2} + \frac{yy_0}{b^2} = 1 ##, but you must find it yourself

I´m sorry, I´m stuck here.

##M(x,y) = ( \begin{array} {c} a*cos(t) \\ b*sin(t) \end{array} )##

##M_0## is what I´m trying to work out.

So the determinant of ##M_0M## and ##f'(t_0)## is ##det ( \begin{array} {cc} a*cos(t)-M_0 & -(a*y_0)/b \\ b*sin(t)-M_0 & (b*x_0)/a \end{array} ) = (a*cos(t)-M_0)*(b*x_0)/a + (b*sin(t)-M_0)*(a*y_0)/b = 0 ## , but I don´t think that just using ##M_0## is correct...

You are looking for a cartesian equation of the tangent, meaning that you must give up the parametric representation by eliminating the parameter. You are left with :
##\vec{M_0M} = (x-x_0, y-y_0) ## and ##f'(t_0) = (-ay_0 / b, b x_0 /a ) ##.

1. How do I calculate the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse?

To calculate the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse, you can use the parametric equation for an ellipse: x = a*cos(t), y = b*sin(t). From this equation, the tangential vector can be found by taking the derivative with respect to t, and the normal vector can be found by taking the derivative of the tangential vector and rotating it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

2. What do the tangential and normal vectors represent in an ellipse?

The tangential vector represents the direction and speed of a point on the ellipse as it moves along the curve. The normal vector represents the direction of the curvature at a specific point on the ellipse.

3. Can I calculate the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse if I only have the equation for the ellipse?

Yes, you can use the equation for an ellipse to calculate the tangential and normal vectors. However, it may be easier to use the parametric equation for an ellipse as it explicitly includes the parameters for the ellipse's major and minor axes.

4. How are the tangential and normal vectors related to each other?

The tangential and normal vectors are always perpendicular to each other. The tangential vector is always tangent to the ellipse at a specific point, while the normal vector is always perpendicular to the tangent vector and points towards the center of the ellipse.

5. Are the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse constant or do they change?

The tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse are not constant and will change as the point on the ellipse moves along the curve. This is due to the changing direction and curvature of the ellipse at different points on the curve.