1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the tangential and normal vectors of an ellipse

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ellipse is given as (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2)=1

I´m meant to calculate a tangential vector, a normal vector and find an equation for the tangent using a random point (x0,y0).

I´m meant to do this in 2 ways: firstly by using the parametrization x(t)=a*cos(t) and y(t)=b*sin(t) and secondly by solving the equation for x or y.

2. Relevant equations

The formula for a tangential vector is ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt)).

The formula for a normal vector is +- ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))/||((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))||

The tangent is linear, so it should have the form y=kx+d

3. The attempt at a solution

x(t)=a*cos(t) and y(t)=b*sin(t), so the tangential vector is ((dx/dt) , (dy/dt)) = (-a*sin(t), b*cos(t)) = (-ay/b , bx/a)

||((dx/dt) , (dy/dt))|| = \sqrt{(ay/b)^2 + (bx/a)^2} , so the normal vector is (-ay/b , bx/a)/(\sqrt{(ay/b)^2 + (bx/a)^2})

I´m not sure how to find an equation for the tangent. I can use y=kx+d and I think that k is (-(a*y0)/b , (b*x0)/a) , but I don´t know how to continue from there.

For the second part:

x = \sqrt{a^2- (y^2*a^2)/b^2}

y= \sqrt{b^2-(x^2*b^2)/a^2}

So do I just have to calculate (dx/dy, dy/dx) now?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2
    Yes, your ellipse is parametrized by ##f(t)=(a\cos(t), b\cos(t) )##.
    A tangent vector at point ##M(t) = f(t)## to the ellipse is given by the derivative of arc ##f## at ##t##.

The tangent line to the ellipse at point ##M_0(x_0,y_0)## is the set of points ##M(x,y)## such that ##\vec{M_0M}## belongs to the vector line directed by the tangent vector at ##M_0## (EDIT: in other terms, if ##M_0 = f(t_0)##, then ##\vec{M_0M}## and ##f'(t_0)## are colinear). How would you turn this into a cartesian equation ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  4. Mar 5, 2016 #3
    Thank you. So the tangent and normal vectors are correct?

How do I work out the vector line directed by the tangent vector at ##M_0## ? The tangent vector is (-ay/b , bx/a), how do I work out a line from that?

5. Mar 5, 2016 #4
    What is the determinant of two colinear vectors in the plane ?

6. Mar 5, 2016 #5
    Zero

7. Mar 5, 2016 #6
    Yes !
    But now you are almost done so I can't help you anymore

8. Mar 5, 2016 #7
    if ##M_0=f(t_0)## , then ##{M_0M}## and ##f'(t_0)## are collinear, so the determinant must be zero. That means that
    det ( ## \begin{array}{ccc}
    t-x_0 & -(a*y_0)/b \\
    t-y_0 & (b*x_0)/a
    \end{array} ## ) = (t-x_0)*(b*x_0)/a + (a*y_0)/b * t-y_0 =0

Am I on the right track?

9. Mar 5, 2016 #8
    No, ##M(x,y)## is not equatl to ##(t,t)## !
    The answer is ##\frac{xx_0}{a^2} + \frac{yy_0}{b^2} = 1 ##, but you must find it yourself

10. Mar 5, 2016 #9
    I´m sorry, I´m stuck here.

##M(x,y) = ( \begin{array} {c} a*cos(t) \\ b*sin(t) \end{array} )##

##M_0## is what I´m trying to work out.

So the determinant of ##M_0M## and ##f'(t_0)## is ##det ( \begin{array} {cc} a*cos(t)-M_0 & -(a*y_0)/b \\ b*sin(t)-M_0 & (b*x_0)/a \end{array} ) = (a*cos(t)-M_0)*(b*x_0)/a + (b*sin(t)-M_0)*(a*y_0)/b = 0 ## , but I don´t think that just using ##M_0## is correct...

11. Mar 5, 2016 #10
    You are looking for a cartesian equation of the tangent, meaning that you must give up the parametric representation by eliminating the parameter. You are left with :
    ##\vec{M_0M} = (x-x_0, y-y_0) ## and ##f'(t_0) = (-ay_0 / b, b x_0 /a ) ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted