Calculating the Volume of a 6-Sided Box

  • Thread starter Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
thereddevils
Messages
436
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The diagram shows a box that has six faces .The top and bottom faces are square . THe other faces are all identical. What is the volume of the box ?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • geometry 333.jpg
    geometry 333.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your attempt so far? I.e. method and calculations? :smile:
 
njama said:
Hint: It is Pyramidal Frustum. Correct me if I am wrong.

No that's what I was thinking too :wink: cheers njama on posting the link :smile:

OK, so thereddevils give that a go now! :smile:
 
Axiom17 said:
No that's what I was thinking too :wink: cheers njama on posting the link :smile:

OK, so thereddevils give that a go now! :smile:

ok so from the formula for volume of a pyramidal frustum is given by

V=1/3(A1 + A2 + root(A1)(A2))(h)

the height is root(18)

A1=100 , A2=16

i got V=220 cm^3

but the answer given is 312 cm^3.
 
Yes the formula is:

[tex]V=\frac{1}{3}h \left( A_{1}+A_{2}+\sqrt{A_{1}\times A_{2}} \right)[/tex]

Where [itex]A_{1}[/itex] is the bottom area, [itex]A_{2}[/itex] is the top area, and [itex]h[/itex] is the height. Refer to your diagram for these values.

If you check that you're using all of the correct values :wink: , then you'll get the answer.

:smile: