1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing Volume as a Function of Height for an Open Box

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1

M83

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An open box of maximum volume is to be made from a square piece of material 24 centimeters on a side (24-2x) by cutting equal squares from the corners and turning up the sides. The table shows the volumes V (in cubic centimeters) of the box for various heights, x (in centimeters).

(x, V): (1,484), (2,800), (3,972), (4,1024), (5,980), (6,864)

If V is a function of x, write the function and determine its domain.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm completely stuck on this. I tried recreating the table values by using the volume of a cube formula, but that didn't work. If anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be helpful, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What cubic function do you get for the volume of the box ?

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem tells you that the base is a square that has side length 24- 2x. What is the area of the base? How do you go from "area of base" to "volume"?

5. Jul 23, 2012 #4

M83

For a square the area would be the square of the side length.

A= (24-2x)(24-2x)
    = 576-48x-48x+4x²
    = 4x²-96x+576

Would you cube the side length?

6. Jul 23, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why on Earth would you do that? If I have a box whose base has area 10 m2 and whose height (= sides) are 2 m, what is the volume (in units of m3)?

RGV

7. Jul 23, 2012 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

That's because you don't have a cube to begin with, you have a rectangular prism ("box"). You do know that the volume of a rectangular prism is [itex]V = lwh[/itex] (l = length, w = width, h = height), right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook