Calculating the wavelength of an electron

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the wavelength of a beta particle that has an energy of 4.35 × 104 eV. The attempt at a solution is to use either the equation eV=.5mv^2 or the equation E=hf, but both give absurd numbers. In the end, the homework statement was unsuccessful in finding an equation to convert electron volts to a form of energy that they are familiar with.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of a beta particle (electron) that has an energy of 4.35 × 104 eV

Homework Equations

E = hf
λ = h/mv
V = W/q
eV = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to get electron volts into a form of energy that I'm familiar with in an equation. I tried

eV = .5mv^2 , but that gave me a speed above the speed of light.

I also tried using E = hf, but that also gave me a ridiculous number.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of a beta particle (electron) that has an energy of 4.35 × 104 eV

Homework Equations

E = hf
λ = h/mv
V = W/q
eV = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to get electron volts into a form of energy that I'm familiar with in an equation. I tried

eV = .5mv^2 , but that gave me a speed above the speed of light.

I also tried using E = hf, but that also gave me a ridiculous number.

The conversion factor for swapping between eV and Joules is 1.6 x 10-19.

You either divide or multiply depending which way you are changing.

You should know which figure is bigger: either a few joules = lots of eV or a few eV = lots of joules. You thus multiply or divide to get the size of answer you need.

Think: if you multiply by 1.6 x 10-19 will that give a bigger number or a smaller number? Dividing will give the opposite. What size of answer do you want?

1 eV = elementary charge * 1 V=1.602 x 10-19 J.

Apply relativity theory. The given energy is the kinetic energy of the particle (the energy it gains when accelerated by 4.35 x 10 4 V. Find the relativistic momentum, and you get the wavelength as λ=h/p.

ehild

I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23. I then plug that into the equation

E/h = f

which gives me 56 orders of magnitude. I then divide 1.6 * 10^-19 by 4.35 * 10^4 and that also gives me the wrong answer. I have a feeling that my second step of using the

E/h = f equation is wrong.

bobsmith76 said:
I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23.

In what units? You have to get joules.

bobsmith76 said:
I then plug that into the equation

E/h = f

It is valid for photons. The electron is not photon.

What do you know about Relativity Theory?

ehild

ok, I got the joules to be 7.53 * 10^-18, using this website

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/joules-to-electron-volts-conversion.html

I don't know how they got that number and would like to know. In any case, I then plugged that number into

.5mv^2 and E = mc^2, using 9.11*10^-31 for the mass. After I got v, I plugged that into

lambda = h/mv

and I was off by an order of magnitude, so I still am doing something wrong.

bobsmith76 said:
I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23. I then plug that into the equation

If dividing didn't work, why didn't you try multiplying?

E/h = f

which gives me 56 orders of magnitude. I then divide 1.6 * 10^-19 by 4.35 * 10^4 and that also gives me the wrong answer. I have a feeling that my second step of using the

E/h = f equation is wrong.

See above

What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of an electron?

The formula for calculating the wavelength of an electron is λ = h / p, where λ is the wavelength in meters, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule-seconds), and p is the momentum of the electron in kilogram-meters per second.

What is the significance of calculating the wavelength of an electron?

Calculating the wavelength of an electron allows us to understand the wave-like behavior of electrons and their interactions with matter. This is important in fields such as quantum mechanics and solid-state physics.

How is the momentum of an electron determined?

The momentum of an electron can be determined by multiplying its mass (9.109 x 10^-31 kilograms) by its velocity in meters per second. This can be measured using various experimental techniques.

Can the wavelength of an electron be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can be measured using diffraction experiments, where the electron beam is passed through a crystal and the resulting diffraction pattern is analyzed.

What factors can affect the wavelength of an electron?

The wavelength of an electron can be affected by the speed and energy of the electron, as well as the potential and magnetic fields it encounters. The presence of other particles or matter can also affect the electron's wavelength.