Calculating the wavelength of an electron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
bobsmith76
Messages
336
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the wavelength of a beta particle (electron) that has an energy of 4.35 × 104 eV

Homework Equations



E = hf
λ = h/mv
V = W/q
eV = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I can't figure out how to get electron volts into a form of energy that I'm familiar with in an equation. I tried

eV = .5mv^2 , but that gave me a speed above the speed of light.

I also tried using E = hf, but that also gave me a ridiculous number.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement



Calculate the wavelength of a beta particle (electron) that has an energy of 4.35 × 104 eV

Homework Equations



E = hf
λ = h/mv
V = W/q
eV = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I can't figure out how to get electron volts into a form of energy that I'm familiar with in an equation. I tried

eV = .5mv^2 , but that gave me a speed above the speed of light.

I also tried using E = hf, but that also gave me a ridiculous number.

The conversion factor for swapping between eV and Joules is 1.6 x 10-19.

You either divide or multiply depending which way you are changing.

You should know which figure is bigger: either a few joules = lots of eV or a few eV = lots of joules. You thus multiply or divide to get the size of answer you need.

Think: if you multiply by 1.6 x 10-19 will that give a bigger number or a smaller number? Dividing will give the opposite. What size of answer do you want?
 
1 eV = elementary charge * 1 V=1.602 x 10-19 J.

Apply relativity theory. The given energy is the kinetic energy of the particle (the energy it gains when accelerated by 4.35 x 10 4 V. Find the relativistic momentum, and you get the wavelength as λ=h/p.

ehild
 
I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23. I then plug that into the equation

E/h = f

which gives me 56 orders of magnitude. I then divide 1.6 * 10^-19 by 4.35 * 10^4 and that also gives me the wrong answer. I have a feeling that my second step of using the

E/h = f equation is wrong.
 
bobsmith76 said:
I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23.

In what units? You have to get joules.

bobsmith76 said:
I then plug that into the equation

E/h = f

It is valid for photons. The electron is not photon.

What do you know about Relativity Theory?

ehild
 
bobsmith76 said:
I can't get it. I'm pretty sure I have to divide 4.35 * 10^4 by 1.6 * 10^-19, but that gives me 2.7 *10^23. I then plug that into the equation

If dividing didn't work, why didn't you try multiplying?


E/h = f

which gives me 56 orders of magnitude. I then divide 1.6 * 10^-19 by 4.35 * 10^4 and that also gives me the wrong answer. I have a feeling that my second step of using the

E/h = f equation is wrong.

See above