Calculating theoretical probability

In summary, the following probability distribution would be accurate to depict the scenario described: it is 4 times more likely for a drug to produce a better result than not. To calculate the required probability, a binomial distribution would be appropriate.
bhuv
Hello All,

I have the following question in one of my tutorials. I need some help in resolving this.

Background: A manufacturing company developed 40000 new drugs and they need to be tested.
Question
The QA checks on the previous batches of drugs found that — it is 4 times more likely that a drug is able to produce a better result than not.
If we take a sample of ten drugs, we need to find the theoretical probability that at most three drugs are not able to do a satisfactory job.

a.) Propose the type of probability distribution that would accurately portray the above scenario, and list out the three conditions that this distribution follows.
b.) Calculate the required probability.Thanks,
Vicky

Physics news on Phys.org
bhuv said:
Hello All,

I have the following question in one of my tutorials. I need some help in resolving this.

Background: A manufacturing company developed 40000 new drugs and they need to be tested.
Question
The QA checks on the previous batches of drugs found that — it is 4 times more likely that a drug is able to produce a better result than not.
If we take a sample of ten drugs, we need to find the theoretical probability that at most three drugs are not able to do a satisfactory job.

a.) Propose the type of probability distribution that would accurately portray the above scenario, and list out the three conditions that this distribution follows.
b.) Calculate the required probability.Thanks,
Vicky
Which distributions do you know in probability? are we looking at discrete or continuous data?

This thread is four years old, I doubt the op is still working on it.

In case anyone else stumbles on this and is looking for guidance for a similar problem: if a drug is p to succeed and 1-p to fail, they tell us in the problem that p=4(1-p). You can solve for p from here. The question probably wants you to assume that the drugs each succeed or fail independently in your sample of ten.

Likes chwala and Greg Bernhardt
...Binomial distribution would address this.

1. What is theoretical probability?

Theoretical probability is the likelihood of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. It is often referred to as the expected probability because it is calculated without actually conducting an experiment.

2. How is theoretical probability calculated?

Theoretical probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments. Theoretical probability is often used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability is used to analyze past events.

4. Can theoretical probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, theoretical probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. Theoretical probability represents the likelihood of an event, and therefore, it must fall between 0 and 1, inclusive.

5. How is theoretical probability used in real-life scenarios?

Theoretical probability is used in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting the outcome of a coin toss or the chance of winning a game of chance. It is also used in fields like finance, insurance, and risk assessment to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring.