1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Time Dilation of a Rocket.

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem was asking to find the time dilation of a rocket traveling upwards at 100,000 m/s with the reference point being earth for a duration of a day.

2. Relevant equations
    1/√(1-(β^2))
    Δt = γΔt'

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've calculating gamma to be 1.000000055, but I'm a little confused on where to go next. Do I just multiple gamma by Δt'? However, that gives me an incorrect and unreasonable answer. The answer key says that the answer should be 9ns. Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pretty much - decide which observer and which clock.
    You probably picked the wrong clock or had the wrong number of nanoseconds in a day or somethinfg like that.
    This is why we ask you to show your working - so we can figure out how to instruct you properly.
    i.e. over the course of a day, one of the clocks will lose 9ns with respect to the other one. i.e. the question wants the difference between the elapsed times on each clock.

when 1day passes on the Earth, the Earth observer sees the rocket clock to have ticked off 1day+T nanoseconds. How do you find T?

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    I suspect that the supplied answer is incorrect. Nobody's perfect.

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you are right there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook