Calculating Time Dilation of a Rocket.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time dilation of a rocket traveling upwards at 100,000 m/s with Earth as the reference point. The equations used are 1/√(1-(β^2)) and Δt = γΔt', with a calculated gamma of 1.000000055. There is confusion on how to proceed, but it is suggested to multiply gamma by Δt' to find the difference between the elapsed times on each clock. The answer key's suggested answer of 9ns is questioned and it is noted that showing work is important for accurate instruction.
alex1261

Homework Statement

The problem was asking to find the time dilation of a rocket traveling upwards at 100,000 m/s with the reference point being Earth for a duration of a day.

Homework Equations

1/√(1-(β^2))
Δt = γΔt'

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculating gamma to be 1.000000055, but I'm a little confused on where to go next. Do I just multiple gamma by Δt'? However, that gives me an incorrect and unreasonable answer. The answer key says that the answer should be 9ns. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I just multiple gamma by Δt'?
Pretty much - decide which observer and which clock.
However, that gives me an incorrect and unreasonable answer.
You probably picked the wrong clock or had the wrong number of nanoseconds in a day or somethinfg like that.
This is why we ask you to show your working - so we can figure out how to instruct you properly.
something The answer key says that the answer should be 9ns.
i.e. over the course of a day, one of the clocks will lose 9ns with respect to the other one. i.e. the question wants the difference between the elapsed times on each clock.

when 1day passes on the Earth, the Earth observer sees the rocket clock to have ticked off 1day+T nanoseconds. How do you find T?

I suspect that the supplied answer is incorrect. Nobody's perfect.

I suspect that the supplied answer is incorrect.
I think you are right there.

I would first make sure that the equations used are correct and applicable to the situation. In this case, the equations for time dilation are appropriate for calculating the effects of special relativity on time for objects moving at high speeds.

Next, I would double check the values used for the velocity of the rocket and the duration of a day. It is important to use accurate and consistent units for these values.

Once the values are confirmed, the next step would be to plug them into the equations and solve for the time dilation. It is important to make sure that the units cancel out correctly and the final answer is expressed in the appropriate units.

If the answer still seems unreasonable, I would check for any errors in calculations or potential conceptual misunderstandings. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to reliable sources for further clarification.

Overall, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, making sure to double check all steps and assumptions to ensure accurate and meaningful results.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in motion relative to each other. This is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

2. How is time dilation calculated for a rocket?

The formula for calculating time dilation for a rocket is t'=t√1−v^2/c^2, where t' is the time experienced by an observer on the rocket, t is the time experienced by an observer on Earth, v is the velocity of the rocket, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the relative velocity and the speed of light, which is the maximum speed at which information can travel.

3. What factors can affect the time dilation of a rocket?

The time dilation of a rocket can be affected by the velocity of the rocket, the acceleration of the rocket, and the gravitational forces acting on the rocket. The higher the velocity and acceleration, and the stronger the gravitational forces, the more time dilation will occur.

4. How does time dilation impact the aging of astronauts on a space mission?

Time dilation can cause astronauts on a space mission to age at a slower rate compared to people on Earth. This is because the high speeds and accelerations experienced by the astronauts cause time to pass at a slower rate for them. This effect is known as "time dilation aging."

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small. For example, GPS satellites have to take into account the time dilation caused by their high speeds in order to accurately calculate the positions of objects on Earth. Additionally, astronauts on the International Space Station age slightly slower than people on Earth due to the station's high orbital velocity.