Calculating Torque and Rotational Inertia for Opening a Heavy Door

  • Thread starter Thread starter tymartin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotations Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tymartin
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You need to open a heavy door that's 30 inches wide. Instictively, you push near the edge that's farthest from the hinges. If, instead, you had pushed at a point only 10 inches in from the hinges, how much harder would you have had to push to open the door at the same speed? Explain your answer.

Homework Equations



Here is my attempt at the problem below. I don't know where I'm making my mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution



30 inches= .76 m
Mass of Door-14 kg

I=1/3 (14kg)(.25)2 Rotational Inertia
1/3(14)(.063) I=1/3M/2
1/3(.88) I=1/3 (14kg) (.58)
.29 1/3 (8.12)
2.7
2.7/.29=9.3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that hard?

Isn't the same Torque required to open the door? Meaning same I and same a?

So isn't the question what force acting at 1/3 the distance is needed to accomplish the same result?