Calculating total amount of energy in a fusion reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Humbleness
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


In the following fusion reaction, a deuterium nucleus (D) combines with a tritium nucleus (T) to form a helium nucleus (He-4). If the following masses of deuterium and tritium are used to produce energy, calculate the total amount of energy produced.
Untitled-1.jpg


Homework Equations


E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution


Adding: D + T = 2.014102 + 3.016049 = 5.030151
Adding: He + n = 4.002602 + 1.008665 = 5.011267

Subtracting the two: 5.030151 - 5.011267 = 0.018884 g or 1.8884x10-5 kg

Using the equation to find the total amount of energy:
E = mc2 = (1.8884x10-5) x (3x108m/s)2 = 1.7x1012J

Can someone confirm for me if I got all the steps right and calculations?
 
Attachments
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,991
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I think you substituted the wrong numbers for D, T, He and n. Two and five grams is too heavy for nuclei. The weight of deuterium nucleus is 2.014 atomic mass units.

You need the weights in grams or, ultimately, kilograms.

Weight in kilograms = weight in atomic mass units times 1.66 x ##10^{-27}## kg per atomic mass unit
 
I was studying nuclear fusion and fission, their differences and reactions, and calculating the energy. My textbook had similar examples and questions with suggested answers:
Untitled-2.jpg

So I was following this example, to calculate this question. Do you still think it is incorrect? I just want to make sure I am doing it properly.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,050
I am sorry. I misread the problem. I think the solution you posted initially was correct.

I mistakenly assumed that you were supposed to calculate the yield from a reaction involving single nuclei. Actually, the way you have stated the problem, you have several grams of material. In that case, the yield is huge. This is why hydrogen bombs, if ever used, would be so destructive.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Humbleness