1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating total work using kinetic-work theorem

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    1. A boy of mass m and a girl of mass 2m are initially at rest at the center of a frozen pond. They push each other so that she slides to the left at speed v across the frictionless ice surface and he slides to the right as shown above. What is the total work done by the children.

2. KE=1/2(mv^2)

3. I was thinking of adding the kinetic energies together. For the girl, I was thinking mv^2 and 1/2 mv^2 for the boy. This would give me 3/2(mv^2), but the correct answer should be 3mv^2. I need help understanding this concept, and how you would arrive to this conclusion. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are given that the speed of the girl is v, so how her KE be mv^2?

But first things first. How can you figure out the speed of the boy?

4. Jul 25, 2013 #3
    By conservation of momentum! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

5. Jul 25, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But you were correct about that! (Her mass is 2m, not m. :redface:)

Exactly!

6. Jul 25, 2013 #5
    I had written her mass in terms of the boys mass. I was not clear on that in my initial post. Sorry about that. I should have used subscripts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted