• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Not sure how to plug in numbers for Work Energy Theorem

1. The Problem Stament, all variables and given data

a 15 kg crate, initially at rest, slides down a ramp 2.0 m long and inclined at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. if there is a constant force of kinetic friction of 25 N between the crate and ramp, what kinetic energy would the crate have at the bottom of the ramp?

2. Needed equations

Work = PE + KE + Energy Lost
PE= mgh
Height = Sinθ * Length
KE= (1/2) m*v^2

3. Attempt at solution

okay so I know how to start out with finding PE

PE= mass* gravity* height = 15 * 9.8 * height

Find Height
Height= Sin (20°) * 2.0= .684

PE= 15 * 9.8 * .684 = 100.5 Joules

What's throwing me off is the kinetic friction of 25 N, I'm not sure what to do with it and where to plug it into to

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How can you include the work done by the friction into your energy considerations?

How can you include the work done by the friction into your energy considerations?
Is there another equation I need? Because i'm not sure

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What equation relates force and distance to work?

What equation relates force and distance to work?
Force = distance / time ?

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I said force, distance and work.
(Not time)

I said force, distance and work.
(Not time)
Work = force * distance ?

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That's the one.

That's the one.
So
Work = 25 N * 2.0 m
= 50 Joules
What does this do?

That describes the amount of energy lost to friction. You know that this is the only way energy is lost during the motion of the object. Therefore you can say that the final energy of the box will be the initial energy minus the energy lost to friction.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
+1

You have a system where energy changes from PE to KE and heat. Apply the relevant equation you posted that invokes conservation of energy.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Work = force * distance ?
It's more than that.
For a constant force, the work is given by ##W=Fd\cos \theta##, where ##F## = magnitude of the force, ##d## = magnitude of the displacement and ##\theta## = angle between force vector and displacement vector. Work is "force times distance" only if the force and the displacement are in the same direction. This is not the case here.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's more than that.
For a constant force, the work is given by ##W=Fd\cos \theta##, where ##F## = magnitude of the force, ##d## = magnitude of the displacement and ##\theta## = angle between force vector and displacement vector. Work is "force times distance" only if the force and the displacement are in the same direction. This is not the case here.
That's correct but I hope it doesn't confuse cici. In this case the force and displacement arent in the same direction but are parallel so trig isn't really needed to solve.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
That's correct but I hope it doesn't confuse cici. In this case the force and displacement arent in the same direction but are parallel so trig isn't really needed to solve.
Well, the title of the thread mentions use of the work-energy theorem which implies calculation of the sum of all the works. None of the acting forces (gravity, friction and normal force) are in the direction of the displacement. I hope @CiCi does not get confused either, but he has to understand how the more general definition of work is implemented.