• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer

• Thread starter Bobazoide
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A 100 W transformer (Ns = 1500) has an input voltage of 9.0V and an output current of 0.65 A

Homework Equations

P = IV
Np/Ns = Is/Ip = Vp/Vs

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I'm not sure what a 100 watt transformer means. Assuming it means that it outputs, not inputs, 100 watts of power, then:

P = IV
100 = 0.65 V
V = 154 V

Np/Ns = Vp/Vs

Np/1500 = 9/154
Np = 87.66 turns.

I feel that mathematically I am doing everything correctly, but I thought that because voltage was being increased then the amount of coils in the primary coil should be more than in the secondary.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

A 100 W transformer (Ns = 1500) has an input voltage of 9.0V and an output current of 0.65 A

Homework Equations

P = IV
Np/Ns = Is/Ip = Vp/Vs

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I'm not sure what a 100 watt transformer means. Assuming it means that it outputs, not inputs, 100 watts of power, then:

P = IV
100 = 0.65 V
V = 154 V

Np/Ns = Vp/Vs

Np/1500 = 9/154
Np = 87.66 turns.

I feel that mathematically I am doing everything correctly, but I thought that because voltage was being increased then the amount of coils in the primary coil should be more than in the secondary.

Thanks.
Looks like you've done just fine. A step-up transformer has more turns on the secondary than on the primary. It's the ratio of turns that sets the "magnification" factor for the voltage.

Oh okay, I wasn't clear on that. Thank you very much!