Transformer and power question mutiple choice

In summary: I'm not sure if my above reasoning is true for such a small system but in large power systems, this is how the load voltage is stabilized. Maybe this transformer has no copper loss and only iron loss is present. So this will not cause any voltage drops and you'll get 11V across the load.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

The turns ratio of a transformer is 20:1 step down and the primary coil is connected to a 220V a.c. supply. If the secondary coil is connected to a '36W, 15V' light bulb and the efficiency of the transformer is 80%,find the current in the primary coil.

Homework Equations

P=IV, Ns/Np=Ip/Is

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate by 36/0.8 = 45 W, 45/220 = 0.204A, which is the answer of D, but the correct answer is B, which is 0.11A, Am I wrong or the is the question wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

The turns ratio of a transformer is 20:1 step down and the primary coil is connected to a 220V a.c. supply. If the secondary coil is connected to a '36W, 15V' light bulb and the efficiency of the transformer is 80%,find the current in the primary coil.

Homework Equations

P=IV, Ns/Np=Ip/Is

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate by 36/0.8 = 45 W, 45/220 = 0.204A, which is the answer of D, but the correct answer is B, which is 0.11A, Am I wrong or the is the question wrong?[/B]
36W is the power rating of the bulb at 15V. The bulb is not getting 15V in this situation, so the power is not 36W. What is the actual operating voltage and resistance of the bulb?

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
36W is the power rating of the bulb at 15V. The bulb is not getting 15V in this situation, so the power is not 36W. What is the actual operating voltage and resistance of the bulb?
That's all the information given. I think the resistance of the bulb can be found by 15^2 / 36= 6.25 ohm

Clara Chung said:
That's all the information given. I think the resistance of the bulb can be found by 15^2 / 36= 6.25 ohm
Right. Now what's the voltage across the bulb?

cnh1995 said:
Right. Now what's the voltage across the bulb?
Voltage 220/20 = 11V, but isn't there energy lost?

Clara Chung said:
but isn't there energy lost?
Yes. That will reduce the secondary voltage. But I think this is how it will be resolved..
If the secondary is kept open and you applied 220V across the primary, you'll get 11V across the secondary, which is the maximum OC voltage, or secondary induced emf E2. Now, if the secondary is loaded, the load voltage will drop. In practice, load voltage should be equal to the secondary induced voltage. A tap changer is used in the primary which will reduce the number of primary turns and hence, secondary induced emf will be increased such that load voltage remains 11V.

cnh1995 said:
Yes. That will reduce the secondary voltage. But I think this is how it will be resolved..
If the secondary is kept open and you applied 220V across the primary, you'll get 11V across the secondary, which is the maximum OC voltage, or secondary induced emf E2. Now, if the secondary is loaded, the load voltage will drop. In practice, load voltage should be equal to the secondary induced voltage. A tap changer is used in the primary which will reduce the number of primary turns and hence, secondary induced emf will be increased such that load voltage remains 11V.
thanks a lot with those extra information!:DDDDD now I get the answer by 11^2 / 6.25 =19.4 W, 19.4/0.8 =24.2 W ,24.2/220 = 0.11A :D

Clara Chung said:
thanks a lot with those extra information!:DDDDD now I get the answer by 11^2 / 6.25 =19.4 W, 19.4/0.8 =24.2 W ,24.2/220 = 0.11A :D
I'm not sure if my above reasoning is true for such a small system but in large power systems, this is how the load voltage is stabilized. Maybe this transformer has no copper loss and only iron loss is present. So this will not cause any voltage drops and you'll get 11V across the load.

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to change the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical supply. It consists of two or more coils of wire wrapped around a magnetic core. By changing the number of coils in each winding, a transformer can step up or step down the voltage of an electrical supply.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates an alternating magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil, which results in a change in voltage.

3. What is the difference between a step-up and a step-down transformer?

A step-up transformer increases the voltage of an electrical supply, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage. This is achieved by having a different number of coils in the primary and secondary windings.

4. What are the main uses of transformers?

Transformers are used in a variety of applications, including power distribution, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. They are also used in industrial settings to power machinery and equipment.

5. How do I choose the right transformer for my needs?

The right transformer for your needs will depend on factors such as the voltage and current requirements of your electrical supply, the power rating of your devices, and the type of transformer (step-up or step-down) needed. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure you select the appropriate transformer for your specific needs.