The efficiency of a transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses a step-down transformer with an efficiency of 90%, a primary coil with a voltage of 200V and a current of 0.5A, and a secondary coil with a voltage of 9V and a current of 10A and 90 turns. The problem is solved using two methods, with the first one (Np = 1800) being correct and the second one being wrong. It is explained that the transformer is not ideal and therefore, Vs/Vp = Ns/Np is not true. However, Is/Ip = Np/Ns is true due to the mmf balance in the core. The individual learns about mmf balance through research and thanks the other person
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

A step-down transformer has an efficiency of 90%, the voltage of it primary coil is 200V and its current is 0.5A, and its secondary coil has a voltage of 9V and a current of 10A and its number of turns is 90 turns.
Calculate the number of turns of the primary coil.

Homework Equations

η =VsIs/VpIp * 100

Vs/Vp = Ns/Np

Is/Ip = Np/Ns

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the problem in two slightly different methods, the first one:

1vQkW.jpg

And the second one:

Y69fn.jpg

The solution in the first method (Np = 1800) is the correct one, but I don't understand why the second one is wrong. I thought that both will lead me to the same answer, but apparently they didn't, could you explain it for me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The transformer is not ideal.
Hence,
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Vs/Vp = Ns/Np
this is not true.

cnh1995 said:
The transformer is not ideal.
Hence,

this is not true.
OK, but why (Is/Ip = Np/Ns) is true?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
OK, but why (Is/Ip = Np/Ns) is true?
It is because of the mmf balance in the core. (Magetizing current is neglected as it is very small compared to the load current).

cnh1995 said:
It is because of the mmf balance in the core. (Magetizing current is neglected as it is very small compared to the load current).
I didn't know about the MMF balance in my textbook, but I googled it and understood it. Many thanks!:smile:

Asmaa Mohammad said:
I didn't know about the MMF balance in my textbook, but I googled it and understood it.
Good!

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Many thanks!:smile:
Thank google:wink:!

1. What is the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer refers to the ratio of output power to input power. It is expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no output power) to 100% (all input power converted to output power).

2. How is the efficiency of a transformer calculated?

The efficiency of a transformer is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100%. The output power is typically measured using a voltmeter and ammeter on the secondary side of the transformer, while the input power is measured on the primary side.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be affected by several factors including the design and construction of the transformer, the quality of the materials used, the type of core used, and the frequency of the input power.

4. Why is it important to have a high efficiency transformer?

A high efficiency transformer is important because it minimizes energy loss and reduces operating costs. It also helps to reduce the amount of heat generated, which can prolong the lifespan of the transformer and improve its overall performance.

5. Can the efficiency of a transformer be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a transformer can be improved by using high-quality materials, optimizing the design and construction, and reducing the resistance in the transformer. Regular maintenance and proper use can also help to improve efficiency and extend the lifespan of the transformer.