Calculating Velocities, dip and depth of a refractor

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the velocities, dip, and depth of a refractor using data from two recording stations and the time of arrival of a seismic wave. The suggested method involves plotting time-distance graphs, but the attachment provided may contain additional helpful information. The source referenced also provides a guide for refraction calculations.
loya Blaise
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14955857_1113106435476531_5016282393940245289_n.jpg?oh=c2e50935ccd57a0863d5f00c5b56653a&oe=5821DD35

Shot point A and B are located at a 225m spread of 16 geophones. Using the data in the attachment, Find
1. The Velocities, V1and V2
2. The Dip()
3. The depth of the refractor, h

My understanding of the Problem
v=(x2-x1)/(t2-t1),,where V is d velocity and x1, x2 are distances of any two recording stations from the shot point(source),, t1 and t2 are the times of arrival of the seismic wave at d same stations.

i have tried ploting tA against Xa, and tB against Xb all on the same graph. but don't just know what to do nest.please help me out

Is there some reason the attachment won't open? It would help to know what other data you were given. Until I can think up a simple plan to attack the problem, try this source. My other problem is that I've always had an assistant do my LaTex presentations and I'd still be typing my reply next Tuesday. I would like to see what else is on the attachment.

http://appliedgeophysics.berkeley.edu/seismic/seismic_23.pdf
7.2.3 Time – Distance Plots
Refraction calculations start on page 15.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a refractor?

To calculate the velocity of a refractor, you will need to measure the distance and time it takes for the refractor to travel through a medium. The formula for calculating velocity is velocity = distance/time.

2. What is the significance of calculating the dip of a refractor?

The dip of a refractor is the angle at which it enters a medium. By calculating the dip, we can determine the refractor's path and how it interacts with the medium. This is important in understanding the properties of the medium and how it affects the refractor's behavior.

3. How do you measure the depth of a refractor?

The depth of a refractor can be measured by finding the distance between the refractor's entry point and exit point in a medium. This can be done by using specialized equipment or by measuring the distance manually with a ruler or measuring tape.

4. Can the velocity, dip, and depth of a refractor change in different mediums?

Yes, the velocity, dip, and depth of a refractor can change in different mediums. The properties of a medium, such as density and temperature, can affect the behavior of a refractor and therefore change its velocity, dip, and depth.

5. How accurate are the calculations for velocity, dip, and depth of a refractor?

The accuracy of the calculations for velocity, dip, and depth of a refractor depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the precision of the calculations used. With careful measurements and proper calculations, the accuracy can be very high.