• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Calculating Velocities, dip and depth of a refractor

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14955857_1113106435476531_5016282393940245289_n.jpg?oh=c2e50935ccd57a0863d5f00c5b56653a&oe=5821DD35

Shot point A and B are located at a 225m spread of 16 geophones. Using the data in the attachment, Find
1. The Velocities, V1and V2
2. The Dip()
3. The depth of the refractor, h

My understanding of the Problem
v=(x2-x1)/(t2-t1),,where V is d velocity and x1, x2 are distances of any two recording stations from the shot point(source),, t1 and t2 are the times of arrival of the seismic wave at d same stations.

i have tried ploting tA against Xa, and tB against Xb all on the same graph. but dont just know what to do nest.please help me out

Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Is there some reason the attachment won't open? It would help to know what other data you were given. Until I can think up a simple plan to attack the problem, try this source. My other problem is that I've always had an assistant do my LaTex presentations and I'd still be typing my reply next Tuesday. I would like to see what else is on the attachment.

http://appliedgeophysics.berkeley.edu/seismic/seismic_23.pdf
7.2.3 Time – Distance Plots
Refraction calculations start on page 15.