Calculating velocity needed for uniform circular motion?

In summary, the pendulum has a bob with speed 8.35 m/s when it is in its lowest position, and 4.33 m/s when it is in its highest position.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Figure 8-32 shows a pendulum of length ##L=\frac{5}{4}m##. Its bob (which effectively has all the mass) has speed ##v_0## when the cord makes an angle ##\theta_0=40°## with the vertical. (a) What is the speed of the bob when it is in its lowest position if ##v_0=8\frac{m}{s}##? What is the least value that ##v_0## can have if the pendulum is to swing down and then up (b) to a horizontal position, and (c) to a vertical position with the cord remaining straight?"
p86F44c.png

Homework Equations

##v^2=v_0^2+2as##
For part (a) ##s=L(1-cos\theta)##
For part (b) ##s=L(cos\theta)##

##L=\frac{5}{4}m##
##\theta_0=40°##
##v_0=8\frac{m}{s}##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
##v^2=v_0^2+2as=v_0^2+2gL(1-cos\theta)##
##v=\sqrt{v_0^2+2gL(1-cos\theta)}=\sqrt{(8\frac{m}{s})^2+2(\frac{98}{10}\frac{m}{s^2})(\frac{5}{4}m)(1-cos(40°))} = \sqrt{64+\frac{49}{2}(1-cos(40°))}\frac{m}{s}=8.35\frac{m}{s}##

(b)
##v^2=v_0^2+2as##
##0=v_0^2-2gL(cos\theta)##
##v_0=\sqrt{2gL(cos\theta)}=\sqrt{(\frac{49}{2})(cos(40°))}\frac{m}{s}=4.33\frac{m}{s}##And here is what I had trouble with:
O4RBV20.png

I learned in Calc. III that for circular motion to happen, the vector for acceleration must be equal and normal to the vector for velocity. But gravity is always pointing down; it is normal to the velocity vector only at the top and the bottom of the circle. What's more, velocity must be constant throughout the rotation. I started with calculating the work that gravity does in half a rotation.

##W_g=\int_{-L}^{L}(mg)dy=2(mg)L##

Then I attempted to do the same for the circular acceleration:

##W_c=\int_{0}^{L}\frac{mv^2}{r}dy=\int_{-\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\int_{0}^{L}(csc\theta)mv^2drd\theta=\int_{-\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}(Lmv^2)(csc\theta)d\theta=2(Lmv^2)##

I don't get the correct numbers when I equate these two energy values:

##2(mg)L=2(mv^2)L##
##v≠\sqrt{g}##

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on, I did that integration for ##csc\theta## incorrectly...

##W_c=(Lmv^2) \int_{-\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}csc\theta d\theta=(Lmv^2)(-ln|csc\theta+cot\theta|)=(Lmv^2)(-ln|1+0|+ln|-1|)##

It's still not making sense.

Eclair_de_XII said:
the vector for acceleration must be equal and normal to the vector for velocity.
A velocity cannot equal an acceleration.
If its velocity is vt at the top, what is its acceleration there?

Is it ##\frac{v^2}{r}##? Only at the top, I think, does ##g=\frac{v^2}{r}##. At the bottom, ##g=-\frac{v^2}{r}##. At the left and right sides, ##g## is tangent to acceleration. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
Is it ##\frac{v^2}{r}##? Only at the top, I think
Yes.
Eclair_de_XII said:
At the bottom, ##g=-\frac{v^2}{r}##
Why? there is tension in the string to consider.

haruspex said:
Why? there is tension in the string to consider.

I think it is because centripetal forces are caused by acceleration of a particle towards its center, while its velocity is tangent to the motion. At ##\theta=-\frac{\pi}{2}##, this acceleration points directly upwards, perpendicular to the velocity which points completely in the horizontal direction. Since gravity always points downwards, it's in the negative direction of the acceleration of the particle, which is pointing up at that angle. Since the problem asks for the velocity at which the cord remains taut, gravity must equal acceleration. Gravity and acceleration would cancel each other out, and in turn, the particle would not stray from its path of motion. So the cord, in turn, would remain straight. And I suppose the tension of that cord, in turn, should be equal to acceleration at that point?

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
Since the problem asks for the velocity at which the cord remains taut, gravity must equal acceleration.
At the top of the loop, yes, but not at the bottom. At the bottom, gravity is acting the wrong way to provide centripetal acceleration. The tension in the string at that point must counter gravity, and exceed it by enough to provide the centripetal acceleration.

haruspex said:
The tension in the string at that point must counter gravity, and exceed it by enough to provide the centripetal acceleration.

Okay, so one must find the tension necessary to pull the particle one hundred and eighty degrees to the top when gravity is in play. I think I see where work comes into play, here... It's some kind of integration problem, but I just don't know what to put as the limits of integration.

2nzV755.png

Last edited:
This is what I tried:

##W_g=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{L}mgrdrd\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}mgL^2d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}(mgL^2)##
##W_c=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{L}mv^2drd\theta=mv^2(\pi)(L)##

##\frac{1}{2}(m\pi)(g)(L^2)=(m\pi)(v^2)(L)##
##v^2=\frac{1}{2}Lg##
##v=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}Lg}=2.47\frac{m}{s}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
This is what I tried:

##W_g=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{L}mgrdrd\theta=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}mgL^2d\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}(mgL^2)##
##W_c=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{L}mv^2drd\theta=mv^2(\pi)(L)##

##\frac{1}{2}(m\pi)(g)(L^2)=(m\pi)(v^2)(L)##
##v^2=\frac{1}{2}Lg##
##v=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}Lg}=2.47\frac{m}{s}##
It obviously must be more than for case b).
You do not need any integration. You figured out in post #4 what the velocity must be at the top. Use energy conservation to figure out the initial KE.

haruspex said:
Use energy conservation to figure out the initial KE.

Hm... I tried rearranging things based on the velocity at the top: ##\frac{v^2}{r}=g##, which, when solved for ##v^2##, becomes ##v^2=gr##. And then I multiplied both sides by ##\frac{1}{2}m## to yield kinetic energy. Is this right? ##E_k=\frac{1}{2}mgr##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Hm... I tried rearranging things based on the velocity at the top: ##\frac{v^2}{r}=g##, which, when solved for ##v^2##, becomes ##v^2=gr##. And then I multiplied both sides by ##\frac{1}{2}m## to yield kinetic energy. Is this right? ##E_k=\frac{1}{2}mgr##.
Yes. So what is the initial KE?

Do you mean at the bottom of the circle?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Do you mean at the bottom of the circle?
No, at the initial position for part c:
Eclair_de_XII said:
speed v0 when the cord makes an angle θ0=40°with the vertical... What is the least value that v0 can have if the pendulum is to swing down and then up ... (c) to a vertical position with the cord remaining straight?"

Likes Eclair_de_XII
Let me see if I got this right...

##E_f=E_k+(mg)(r)(1+cos\theta)##

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let me see if I got this right...

##E_f=E_k+(mg)(r)(1+cos\theta)##
Depends what you mean by Ef and Ek.

##E_k## is kinetic energy at the very top of the circle and ##E_f## is energy at a point on the circle depending on the position of the particle on the path of motion relative to the center; its angle relative to the center, in other words. If it's at the bottom, ##\theta=0##; at the top, ##\theta=\pi##.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
##E_k## is kinetic energy at the very top of the circle and ##E_f## is energy at a point on the circle depending on the position of the particle on the path of motion relative to the center; its angle relative to the center, in other words. If it's at the bottom, ##\theta=0##; at the top, ##\theta=\pi##.
Ok, but one more thing I should have asked: are you taking g to be a positive quantity or a negative one? Before answering, consider whether the final KE will be more or less than the initial KE, and what your equation says about that.

haruspex said:
Ok, but one more thing I should have asked: are you taking g to be a positive quantity or a negative one?

Positive. Gravity will only be adding to ##E_k##, I believe.

##E_f=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}(mgr)+(mgr)(1+cos\theta)##
##v^2=(gr)+2(gr)(1+cos\theta)=(gr)(3+2cos\theta)##
##v=\sqrt{(gr)(3+2cos\theta)}=\sqrt{(\frac{98}{10}\frac{m}{s^2})(\frac{5}{4}m)(3+2cos40°)}=\frac{7}{2}\sqrt{3+2cos40°}=7.45\frac{m}{s}##

Thank you very much. I don't believe I could have done this without your help.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Positive. Gravity will only be adding to ##E_k##, I believe.

##E_f=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}(mgr)+(mgr)(1+cos\theta)##
##v^2=(gr)+2(gr)(1+cos\theta)=(gr)(3+2cos\theta)##
##v=\sqrt{(gr)(3+2cos\theta)}=\sqrt{(\frac{98}{10}\frac{m}{s^2})(\frac{5}{4}m)(3+2cos40°)}=\frac{7}{2}\sqrt{3+2cos40°}=7.45\frac{m}{s}##

Thank you very much. I don't believe I could have done this without your help.
Ok!

1. How do you calculate the velocity needed for uniform circular motion?

The velocity needed for uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = (2πr)/T, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and T is the time it takes to complete one revolution.

2. What is the difference between linear and circular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line, while circular velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a circular path. Linear velocity is measured in units of distance per time, while circular velocity is measured in units of angle per time.

3. How does the radius of the circular path affect the velocity needed for uniform circular motion?

The velocity needed for uniform circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the velocity needed also increases. This is because a larger radius requires a greater distance to be covered in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity.

4. Can an object have a constant speed but varying velocity in uniform circular motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but varying velocity in uniform circular motion. This is because velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not. In uniform circular motion, the direction of the velocity is constantly changing, even though the speed remains constant.

5. What is the significance of calculating the velocity needed for uniform circular motion?

Calculating the velocity needed for uniform circular motion is important in understanding the motion of objects in circular paths, such as planets orbiting the sun or a car making a turn. It also allows us to predict the direction and magnitude of the velocity at different points in the circular path, which is crucial in designing and analyzing circular motion systems.