Calculating Velocity of a Block After Release from a Spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
youxcrushxme
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I know this is probably an easy question but -

A 1.10 kg block is held against a spring of force constant 0.2 104 N/m, compressing it a distance of 0.34 m. How fast is the block moving after it is released and the spring pushes it away?

If someone could just point me in the right direction for this problem I'd appreciate it!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
youxcrushxme said:
I know this is probably an easy question but -

A 1.10 kg block is held against a spring of force constant 0.2 104 N/m, compressing it a distance of 0.34 m. How fast is the block moving after it is released and the spring pushes it away?

If someone could just point me in the right direction for this problem I'd appreciate it!
Point ==> Energy
 
Yup. Try posting your thoughts on this first. What type of energy does a spring store? What type of energy does a body in motion have? What is their relationship? Use this questions as a starter.