Calculating Velocity of Snowboarder Down Slope

  • Thread starter Thread starter GoSS190
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
GoSS190
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Need to find the equation for the velocity of a snowboarder going down a slope about to hit a jump. I know that the potential energy for going down the hill is mgh and that friction depends on the normal force which is mgcos(theta) and the distance going down the slope. I need to figure out what the equation for finding the opposing energy that is being produced by friction. I am looking to find the velocity at the bottom for all values of theta.

The known variables are..
m=100 kg
g=9.8 m/s^2
d=100 meters or the hypotenuse of the hill
mu (k)=.05
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GoSS190! :smile:

Combine conservation of energy with the work-energy theorem …

energy "lost" to friction = work done by friction. :wink: