What is the deceleration of a snowboarder going up a 5.0° slope?

In summary, the student attempted to calculate the deceleration of a snowboarder going up a 5.0° slope and found that the force of gravity was pulling the snowboarder down the hill, contrary to the expected result of kinetic friction working in the same direction as the attempted motion.
ThePiGeek314

Homework Statement

Calculate the deceleration of a snowboarder going up a 5.0° slope, assuming the coefficient of friction for waxed wood on wet snow ( = 0.1).

Homework Equations

F = ma
W = mg
Fs = (Fn)
Fk = k (Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer key says it's 1.83 m/s2. I fiddled around with the numbers I got and I was able to get the right answer, but I don't understand why it's the right answer. Below is my work.

Normal force = 9.8 (assuming the snowboarder has a mass of 1 kg)

Force pushing the snowboarder UP the hill: 9.8 sin (5 degrees) = 0.854 (Is this right?? Is there a force pushing him up the hill??)

Kinetic friction = * Fn = 0.1 * 9.8 = 0.98 N

Sum the horizontal forces, applying Newton's Second Law of Motion...

a = (∑Fx) / m

(a = acceleration, Fx = all horizontal forces, m = mass)

Because the 0.854 is the force pushing him up the hill, and the kinetic friction works opposite to that, I subtracted the kinetic friction value from the 0.854. So...

a = (0.854 - 0.98) / m......(m is assumed to be 1)
a = -0.126 / 1
a = -0.126 m/s2

But if I simply add the two force values that I found - add the kinetic friction and the force parallel to the hill -- I get 1.834, which is the correct answer. That means that my assumption that 0.854 N was pushing the snowboarder up the hill was wrong. So both the 0.854 N and the kinetic friction must be working in the same direction.

But if there's no force pushing him up the hill, and I'm not given an initial velocity up the hill, then how can there be any motion at all? He'd be going down the hill, not up it.

Please explain why the 0.854 N and kinetic friction are working in the same direction, since kinetic friction is supposed to work in the opposite direction of the attempted motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThePiGeek314 said:
Normal force = 9.8 (assuming the snowboarder has a mass of 1 kg)
Only on a horizontal surface.
You don't have to assume a mass. Just use m as mass, it will cancel in the calculations.
Then you can also work with units, which makes it easier to spot mistakes.
ThePiGeek314 said:
Force pushing the snowboarder UP the hill: 9.8 sin (5 degrees) = 0.854 (Is this right?? Is there a force pushing him up the hill??)
Where would such a force come from?
ThePiGeek314 said:
since kinetic friction is supposed to work in the opposite direction of the attempted motion.
Both gravity and friction slow down the snowboarder, they are both against the direction of motion. There is no force pushing anyone upwards.

Got it - because the 0.854 N was calculated as a function of the force of gravity - 9.8 sin Θ, so it's the gravitational force pulling the skier down the hill. Thank you!

1. What is "deceleration going up a slope"?

Deceleration going up a slope refers to the slowing down of an object's speed while it is moving up an inclined surface.

2. Why does deceleration occur when going up a slope?

Deceleration occurs when going up a slope due to the force of gravity acting against the object's motion. As the object moves up the slope, it must work against gravity, which causes it to slow down.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect deceleration?

The steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity acting against the object's motion, resulting in a higher deceleration. On the other hand, a flatter slope will have less of an impact on deceleration.

4. Is deceleration going up a slope the same as acceleration going down a slope?

No, deceleration going up a slope is not the same as acceleration going down a slope. While deceleration involves a decrease in speed, acceleration involves an increase in speed. Additionally, the forces at work are different - deceleration is caused by gravity, while acceleration is caused by a push or pull force.

5. How can deceleration going up a slope be calculated?

To calculate deceleration going up a slope, you will need to know the object's initial speed, final speed, and the angle of the slope. You can use the formula a = (v - u)/t, where a is the deceleration, v is the final speed, u is the initial speed, and t is the time it takes for the object to travel up the slope.