Calculating Viscosity of Golden Syrup through Terminal Velocity Experiment

  • Thread starter Thread starter samb53
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Viscosity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
samb53
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm going to be doing an experiment to determine the viscosity of golden syrup by dropping different size steel ball bearings into a jar of golden syrup and recording how long it takes for them to travel a certain distance when there at terminal velocity.

so from the formula I'm trying to calculate eta, but I must do this by plotting a graph and then calculating eta from the gradient

Homework Equations



258ovae.png


The Attempt at a Solution



I think I'm going to have to plot radius^2 on one axis and Vterm on the other axis but I'm not sure which goes which. and then I'm going to make the equation in the same format of y=mx but I'm not sure again how
 
Physics news on Phys.org
is this correct vterm on y-axis and r^2 on x-axis and then the equation of the line would equal = (vterm=2g(ps-pg))/9eta *r2 +0 and then from this

eta = 2g(ps-pg) / 9*gradient ?