Calculating Voltage & Velocity of Electrons in an Electron Microscope

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
electrons in an electron microscope are accelerated form rest to a momentum making their wavelength 0.06 nm.

1. what is the voltage Vo needed for this?

2. What is the final electron velocity?

For 1.

[tex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}=\frac{1240eVnm}{0.06 nm}[/tex]
solve for E

For 2.

[tex]E=.5mv^2[/tex]
Solve for v plugging in E from #1 and m=mass of electron

is this the correct thought process?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the correct process for classical mechanic.[/color]
 
This is just a guess but I think he might mean relativistic corrections. I don't think those are absolutely necessary because the electrons energy would be roughly 20keV which is still quite a bit smaller than it's rest energy.
 
oh, you mean for part 2, i should use [tex]E=\sqrt{(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2}[/tex]?