Calculating vrms of Helium in Mixture of Gases

  • Thread starter Thread starter sheri1987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gases Mixture
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
sheri1987
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A gas bottle contains a mixture of Helium and Oxygen molecules (O2 is diatomic). The root-mean-square velocity for the O2 molecules is 482 m/s. Find vrms for the Helium atoms.


Homework Equations



1/2mv^2=1/2mv^2

and solve for velocity of He, however, i am not sure what numbers to plug in for the mass.

The Attempt at a Solution



I filled everything in but the masses, I know that oxygen is diatomic, or O2, but what does that mean I put in for the mass? Do I need to use the mass numbers by looking at a periodic table?
 
Physics news on Phys.org