1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating wavelengths of photons / photospheric temperatures

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    The ionization potentials of HI and KI are 13.6 and 4.3 ev. Calculate the wavelengths of photons that can ionize HI and KI. Calculate the photospheric temperatures of stars that peak at these wavelengths, and hence radiate plenty of photons at shorter wavelengths capable of ionizing these atoms.

First, I calculated the wavelengths using e=(hc)/lambda . I have lambda=(hc)/13.6 and lambda=(hc)/lambda . Now what do I do next? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of spectrum does a star have? How does it relate to the star's temperature?

4. May 2, 2006 #3
    Well... it has a black body spectrum. I supposed it relates with planck's law of black body radiation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_function I'm still not exactly sure what to do.

Thanks!

5. May 2, 2006 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?