Calculating wavelengths of photons / photospheric temperatures

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Toad
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
The ionization potentials of HI and KI are 13.6 and 4.3 ev. Calculate the wavelengths of photons that can ionize HI and KI. Calculate the photospheric temperatures of stars that peak at these wavelengths, and hence radiate plenty of photons at shorter wavelengths capable of ionizing these atoms.

First, I calculated the wavelengths using e=(hc)/lambda . I have lambda=(hc)/13.6 and lambda=(hc)/lambda . Now what do I do next? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
Now what do I do next?

What kind of spectrum does a star have? How does it relate to the star's temperature?
 
SpaceTiger said:
What kind of spectrum does a star have? How does it relate to the star's temperature?
Well... it has a black body spectrum. I supposed it relates with Planck's law of black body radiation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_function I'm still not exactly sure what to do.

Thanks!