Calculating Weight and Sliding Force on a Roof | Statics Problem Solution

• Thread starter phys1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, the girl's weight is 127.39N and the force trying to slide her off the roof is 42.84N. This force is due to gravity, but it may not be successful in making her slide if there is enough friction available to counteract it.
phys1618
please Check my static problem

Homework Statement

a roof that has a rise of 5 meteres for every 14 meters of horizontal run. A girl stands on a scale on the roof and the scale reads 120N . what is the actual weight of the girl? what force tends to slide the girl off of the roof?

Homework Equations

tan theta=opp/adj
cos theta=adj/hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the degree first, which is 19.65 degrees, I found this by using tan equation. Then I used this degree to find the weight of the grl, which is 127.39N, used cos equation. Then finally, using the degree again and tan equation, the force sliding the girl off the roof is 42.84N. I just want to know if I have the answer right? Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

phys1618 said:

Homework Statement

a roof that has a rise of 5 meteres for every 14 meters of horizontal run. A girl stands on a scale on the roof and the scale reads 120N . what is the actual weight of the girl? what force tends to slide the girl off of the roof?

Homework Equations

tan theta=opp/adj
cos theta=adj/hyp

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the degree first, which is 19.65 degrees, I found this by using tan equation. Then I used this degree to find the weight of the grl, which is 127.39N, used cos equation. Then finally, using the degree again and tan equation, the force sliding the girl off the roof is 42.84N. I just want to know if I have the answer right? Thank you for the help!
Pretty close. The girl's weight is correct. Also, there is a 42.8N force trying to slide her down the roof. What is the nature of that force? It may not be successful in making her slide if there is enough ________ available to offset this force.

are you talking about gravity??

1. How do I know if I have a static problem?

If you experience sudden shocks or sparks when touching objects, see clothes sticking to your body, or hear crackling sounds, you may have a static problem.

2. What causes static problems?

Static problems are caused by an imbalance of electric charges between two surfaces. This can occur due to friction, pressure, or separation between materials.

3. How can I prevent static problems?

Some ways to prevent static problems include using humidifiers, wearing clothing made of natural fibers, using anti-static products or sprays, and avoiding materials that are known to cause static buildup.

4. Can static cause damage to electronics?

Yes, static can cause damage to sensitive electronics by discharging high levels of electricity, which can lead to malfunctions or component failure. It is important to handle electronics carefully and use anti-static measures when working with them.

5. How can I get rid of static once it has occurred?

If you already have a static problem, you can try using an anti-static spray or lotion, using a humidifier, or touching a grounded object to discharge the built-up electricity. You can also try using anti-static sheets in your laundry to help reduce static in clothing.