Calculating Work and Force of Air Resistance on a Falling Pinecone

  • Thread starter Thread starter shaggyace
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
shaggyace
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 0.16 kg pinecone falls 18 m to the ground where it lands with a speed of 11 m/s.

a)How much work was done on the pinecone by air resistance?

b)What was the average for of air resistance exerted on the pine cone?

Homework Equations



ƩF=ma

Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2aΔx

W=FΔx=maΔx=1/2(mVf^2)-1/2(mVi^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using the kinematic equation to find initial velocity while setting the acceleration as gravity. I got 18.78 m/s but that doesn't seem right. I tried using that initial velocity in the work-kinetic energy theorem and it came out to -28.275. However that was the wrong answer. I don't understand where to start with this problem let alone part B. Someone help me please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The 18.78 m/sec represents the speed if there were no wind resistance. Note that it is larger than what was presented in the problem statement.

Write an energy balance such as:

PE(1) + KE(1) = PE(2) + KE(2) + Work
 
The net work done is equivalent to the work by gravity minus the work by friction.

EDIT: My way is essentially a rearrangement of LawrenceC's formula above.