1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating work done by gravity

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10kg bucket of water is lifted vertically 3.0m at a constant speed. How much work did gravity do on the bucket during this process?

2. Relevant equations
    Work=Force*Distance (what thought to use)
    Wext=Fextdcosθ (what the answer key says to use.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt got me as far as plugging in: Work=(9.8m/s2*10kg)*3.0m=(98N)*3.0kg=294J
    ***In the answer key they used 10m/s2 for gravity, but also had a negative answer of -300J. I assume that they used the negative as a direction, but is work a vector or scalar? Looking to understand why the way I did this does not yeild the same answer, and how the formula the keys says to use works?***

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The force is in the opposite direction of motion, therefore work done by gravity is negative. You should change the sign of either the acceleration or the 3 meter distance, because they point in opposite directions.

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3
    Okay thanks I was thinking something along those lines, but why would the key ask to solve using that other equation? It seems more complicated than the way I did it. does my method only work in limited scenarios and the other has a broader range of uses?

5. Nov 5, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, the equation with the angle is more general, but as your problem is one-dimensional you don't need that.

6. Nov 5, 2016 #5
    I see. In that case I will stick to my simple method :) Thanks!

7. Nov 5, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case the angle is zero and Cos(0)=1 so both equations are the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted