Calculating Work Done by Upward Buoyant Force on Hot Air Balloon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
azhang40
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hot air balloon of mass 425 kg ascends from the ground level and accelerates at a rate of 1.25 m/s/s for 25 seconds. How much work is done by the upward buoyant force on the balloon?

(conceptual) A certain amount of work W is required to accelerate a car from rest to a speed of v. How much work is required to accelerate from rest to a speed of v/2?

Homework Equations


W=fd
Fnet=ma
KE=1/2mv^2


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to find Fnet first, so would it be the upward buoyant force (what is trying to be solved)+mg (weight)= 425x1.25. Then find the displacement using one dimensional motion, getting 390.625 m traveled. Is all this right? How do I proceed?

Rearranged W=1/2m(v/2)^2 to 4w=1/2mv^2. How do I proceed? I'm solving for work required.
 
Physics news on Phys.org