What does change in energy content of the gas mean?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jason177
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I don't need help on the problem itself but I did have a question about what does this mean by change in the energy content of the gas?
The question is:
For each of the four steps A through D, compute the work done on the gas, the heat added to the gas, and the change in the energy content of the gas.

and then there is a P vs V graph that we are supposed to use to answer the question.

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought it might mean what percent of the change in energy is caused by heat and what percent is caused by work but I'm not sure and it doesn't say anything about it in the book.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By "energy content" they mean internal energy. What does the first law of thermodynamics have to say about that?
 
ok, so for change in energy content I would basically just use [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Q+W ?
 
jason177 said:
ok, so for change in energy content I would basically just use [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Q+W ?
Exactly.