• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Change in the energy content of an isobaric process

• Thread starter diaaa2
  • Start date
Homework Statement
A PV diagram shows an isobaric expansion, I'm asked to know the signs of: work done on, heat added to, and change in energy content of the system.
Homework Equations
W= integral (P dV), dU = Q + W
Homework Statement: A PV diagram shows an isobaric expansion, I'm asked to know the signs of: work done on, heat added to, and change in energy content of the system.
Homework Equations: W= integral (P dV), dU = Q + W

Since this is an expansion, the system does work on the surrounding and therefore the work done on the system is -ve.
Also, to preserve a constant pressure, heat has to be added, therefore heat added is +ve.

The energy content(dU) is the sum of those too, and since the process is isobaric not adiabatic, dU has a value.
How can I know whether it is negative or positive?

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What expression do you know for dU that involves the temperature change dT?

vela

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
The energy content(dU) is the sum of those too, and since the process is isobaric not adiabatic, dU has a value.
You should really write either ##dU = dQ + dW##, if you're dealing with infinitesimal quantities, or ##\Delta U = Q + W##, if not. I'll assume you really meant ##\Delta U##, not ##dU##.

##\Delta U## is always going to have some value which depends only on where you start and where you end up, not the process, since ##U## is state variable.

Did you mean ##\Delta U## won't be 0? That claim would be true for both isobaric and adiabatic processes, so your logic doesn't make sense.