Calculating Work: When to Use W = Fd cos(a) vs. the Integral of F

  • Thread starter Thread starter caspeerrr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
caspeerrr
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


When do you use W = Fd cos(a) and when do you use the integral of F?

Homework Equations


W = Fd cos(a) Integral of F

The Attempt at a Solution


When doing exercises it seems random to me when I have to use the formule W = fd cos(a) and when I have to use the integral? What is the consistency in this?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
caspeerrr said:

Homework Statement


When do you use W = Fd cos(a) and when do you use the integral of F?

Homework Equations


W = Fd cos(a) Integral of F

The Attempt at a Solution


When doing exercises it seems random to me when I have to use the formule W = fd cos(a) and when I have to use the integral? What is the consistency in this?
Thanks!
It would help if you could give a few examples. Can you post 1-2 of each type of problem? In general you integrate if something is changing along the path of integration. If things are constant along the path (like pushing a block at a constant speed across a floor), then you can just use W=Fd.