Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of actual spray angle and coverage

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    Hey,

I am attempting to figure out the optimal nozzle placement for an evaporative cooling tower. Now, calculating the theoretical coverage of each nozzle is obviously not a problem since I know the spray angle of the nozzles. However, since the water is injected at a much higher speed than the gas (Co-current), I am assuming that drag forces will play an important part and the actual coverage of each nozzle will be smaller.

I would like to be able to calculate the actual coverage of the nozzle at any given distance from it.

I know the size of the droplets, the velocity and density of both the gas and the water.

Any help on how to solve this mathematically is greatly appreiated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2
    I don't know anything about cooling towers but I'm wondering how do you know the spray angles and drop sizes? I did some spray coverage stuff for pressure control in reactor containment buildings and it was all based on spray nozzle tests done by the nozzle vendor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook