Calculation of actual spray angle and coverage

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining the optimal nozzle placement for an evaporative cooling tower due to the different velocities of the water and gas. The speaker is seeking help in calculating the actual coverage of the nozzles at different distances, and mentions knowing the spray angles, drop sizes, and velocities and densities of the water and gas. They also mention previous experience with spray nozzle tests for pressure control.
Gollegun
Hey,

I am attempting to figure out the optimal nozzle placement for an evaporative cooling tower. Now, calculating the theoretical coverage of each nozzle is obviously not a problem since I know the spray angle of the nozzles. However, since the water is injected at a much higher speed than the gas (Co-current), I am assuming that drag forces will play an important part and the actual coverage of each nozzle will be smaller.

I would like to be able to calculate the actual coverage of the nozzle at any given distance from it.

I know the size of the droplets, the velocity and density of both the gas and the water.

Any help on how to solve this mathematically is greatly appreiated

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about cooling towers but I'm wondering how do you know the spray angles and drop sizes? I did some spray coverage stuff for pressure control in reactor containment buildings and it was all based on spray nozzle tests done by the nozzle vendor.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the actual spray angle and coverage?

The purpose of calculating the actual spray angle and coverage is to determine the effectiveness and efficiency of a spraying system. This information is crucial for optimizing the application of pesticides, fertilizers, and other agricultural chemicals, as well as for controlling the spread of diseases and pests in crops.

2. How is the actual spray angle and coverage calculated?

The actual spray angle can be calculated by measuring the width of the spray pattern at a specific distance from the nozzle. This measurement is then used to determine the angle of the spray cone. Coverage is calculated by measuring the percentage of the target surface that is covered by the spray. This can be done by using a grid system or by weighing the amount of liquid sprayed onto a specific area.

3. What factors can affect the actual spray angle and coverage?

The actual spray angle and coverage can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the nozzle, the pressure and flow rate of the spraying system, the distance from the nozzle to the target surface, and environmental conditions such as wind speed and direction. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the actual spray angle and coverage to ensure accurate results.

4. How can the accuracy of the calculated spray angle and coverage be improved?

The accuracy of the calculated spray angle and coverage can be improved by using advanced measuring tools such as laser sensors or high-speed cameras. Additionally, conducting multiple tests and averaging the results can help to reduce any errors or inconsistencies. Regular maintenance and calibration of the spraying system can also improve accuracy.

5. What are the potential consequences of inaccurate spray angle and coverage calculations?

Inaccurate spray angle and coverage calculations can lead to uneven distribution of chemicals, resulting in over or under application. This can lead to crop damage, reduced effectiveness of pesticides or fertilizers, and increased costs for farmers. It can also contribute to environmental pollution and health risks for workers and nearby communities.