1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two spin-1/2 particles and I need to calculate their Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I followed the procedure of applying [itex]J_- [/itex] to [itex]|{j,m}\rangle [/itex]
    and [itex]J_{1-}[/itex] and [itex]J_{2-}[/itex] to [itex]|{m_1,m_2}\rangle [/itex] and comparing them. I got correctly
    [itex]\langle{1,1}|{1/2,1/2}\rangle =1 [/itex],
    [itex]\langle{1,0}|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle=1/\sqrt{2} [/itex],
    [itex]\langle{1,0}|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle =1/\sqrt{2} [/itex],
    [itex]\langle{1,-1}|{-1/2,-1/2}\rangle=1 [/itex].
    Now I want to find [itex]\langle{0,0}|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle [/itex]
    and [itex]\langle{0,0}|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle [/itex].
    Therefore I denoted [itex]|{0,0}\rangle = \alpha|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle + \beta|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle [/itex]
    and used the normalization condition [itex]|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 = 1[/itex] and orthogonality to the [itex]|{1,0}\rangle[/itex] state. I got the equation
    [itex]|\alpha|^2 = 1/2[/itex] from which there are 2 options:
    [itex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = -1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] (only real coefficients by convention). How do I know which is the right option out of the two?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The overall sign of ##\alpha## doesn't really matter. What's important is the relative phase between ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. What combination of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## will yield a state orthogonal to ##|1, 0\rangle##?

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Ok. I agree. But the standard table has a certain convention. How do I know how to pick the sign to fit this convention?

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

According to this page, this is the convention:

The Condon-Shortley convention is that the highest m-state of the larger component angular momentum is assigned a positive coefficient.

Still seems a bit ambiguous in your case, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook