Calculation of probabilities in QM

In summary, the conversation is about a question posted in a homework page, asking for the probability of simultaneous measurements of X, Y, and Pz to yield certain results. The result is obtained by evaluating an expression involving projectors and then simplifying it by using the position-space wave function. Avodyne suggests a simpler approach by using only the position-space wave function and Fourier transforming on z. Javier also suggests writing the expressions for <p|r> and <psi|p> in space representation. Avodyne confirms that this approach is correct and the conversation ends with gratitude for Avodyne's help.
facenian
I posted this question in the homework page but I got no answers, so will try here.
Given the wave function of a (spinless) particle I need to expres in terms of [itex]\psi(\vec{r})[/itex] the probability for simultaneous measurements of X y P_z to yield :

[tex]x_1 \leq x \leq x_2[/tex]
[tex] p_z \geq 0[/tex]

I got the result:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dz\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_x\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_y\int_0^{\infty}dp_z <\vec{p}|\vec{r}>\psi(\vec{r})<\psi|\vec{p}> [/tex]

To get this I evaluated the expression [itex]<\psi|P_2P_1|\psi>[/itex] where P_1 and P_2 are the proyectors:
[tex]P_1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dz\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx|x,y,z><x,y,z|[/tex]
[tex]P_2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_x\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_y\int_0^{\infty}dp_z|p_x,p_y,p_z><p_x,p_y,p_z|[/tex]

I need to know two things: 1) is my result correct? 2) in case it is correct, is there any other more simple or concrete answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

Avodyne said:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

Thank you Avodyne, could you be so kind as to explain a little how to get an easier or more concrete answer?

Well, notice that if it wasn't for the pz question, you could do everything with the position-space wave function. So you really only need to Fourier transform on z. Your version has a lot of extra Fourier-transforming and untransforming in x and y.

You can go further by writing <p|r> and <Psi|p> in a function form like you did with <x|Psi>. Generally, you want to put things in a single representation, like the position space, so you might ask yourself how far you can go to do that.

If you have a free particle, e.g., then Psi(r)=Psi_x Psi_y Psi_z, and similarly for the momentum space wavefunction. Can you see how doing the above steps would make things much more simplified?

Thank you both. I think what javier says is simple to write explictly the expresions for <p|r> and <psi|p>
in space representation but that would only complicate even more the final expression(sorry if I misunderstood you)
So will try Avodyne's approach and I will very much appretiate any comments on this :
Since we need to express the final result in terms of [itex]\psi(\vec{r})[/itex] only, we will change momentarily from X,Y,Z to the C.S.C.O X,Y,P_z. The desired probabilty is [itex]<\psi|P_n|\psi>[/itex]

where
[tex]P_n=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx\int_0^\infty dp_z |x,y,p_z><x,y,p_z|[/tex]
[tex]<\psi|P_n|\psi>=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy \int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx \int_0^\infty dp_z |<x,y,p_z|\psi>|^2[/tex]
where
[tex]<x,y,p_z|\psi>=\int<x,y,p_z|\vec{r'}><\vec{r'}|\psi>d^3r'=\int<x,y,p_z|x',y',z'><x',y',z'|\psi>d^3r' [/tex]
[tex] =\int\delta(x-x')\delta(y-y')<p_z|z'>\psi(\vec{r'})d^3r'=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dz' \psi(x,y,z')e^{-ip_z z'/\hbar}[/tex]
is this what you meant Avodyne?

Yep!

Thank you Avodyne! I really appreate your help because a have no other means to deal with this matters.

1. What is the role of probabilities in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probabilities play a central role in predicting the outcomes of measurements and describing the behavior of quantum systems. This is because, unlike classical mechanics, quantum systems do not have definite properties until they are measured, and instead exist in a state of superposition where all possible outcomes have a certain probability of occurring.

2. How are probabilities calculated in quantum mechanics?

Probabilities in quantum mechanics are calculated using the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, specifically the wave function. The squared magnitude of the wave function at a particular point represents the probability of finding the particle at that point. Additionally, the Born rule states that the probability of a specific outcome of a measurement is equal to the squared magnitude of the particle's wave function in the corresponding eigenstate of the measurement operator.

3. Can probabilities in quantum mechanics be exact?

No, probabilities in quantum mechanics are inherently probabilistic and cannot be exact. This is due to the fundamental principle of uncertainty in quantum mechanics, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Therefore, the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted, only the probability of each possible outcome.

4. How are probabilities in quantum mechanics related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. This is reflected in the calculation of probabilities, as the more precisely we know the position or momentum of a particle, the smaller the range of possible outcomes and thus the higher the probability of a particular outcome.

5. What is the significance of probabilities in quantum mechanics?

Probabilities in quantum mechanics are significant as they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and understand the fundamental nature of reality at a subatomic level. They also play a crucial role in many technological applications, such as quantum computing and cryptography.