Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of probabilities in QM

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    I posted this question in the homework page but I got no answers, so will try here.
    Given the wave function of a (spinless) particle I need to expres in terms of [itex]\psi(\vec{r})[/itex] the probability for simultaneous measurements of X y P_z to yield :

[tex]x_1 \leq x \leq x_2[/tex]
    [tex] p_z \geq 0[/tex]

I got the result:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dz\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_x\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_y\int_0^{\infty}dp_z <\vec{p}|\vec{r}>\psi(\vec{r})<\psi|\vec{p}> [/tex]

To get this I evaluated the expression [itex]<\psi|P_2P_1|\psi>[/itex] where P_1 and P_2 are the proyectors:
    [tex]P_1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dz\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx|x,y,z><x,y,z|[/tex]
    [tex]P_2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_x\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_y\int_0^{\infty}dp_z|p_x,p_y,p_z><p_x,p_y,p_z|[/tex]

I need to know two things: 1) is my result correct? 2) in case it is correct, is there any other more simple or concrete answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

1) Yes.
    2) Yes.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you Avodyne, could you be so kind as to explain a little how to get an easier or more concrete answer?

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Well, notice that if it wasn't for the pz question, you could do everything with the position-space wave function. So you really only need to Fourier transform on z. Your version has a lot of extra Fourier-transforming and untransforming in x and y.

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    You can go further by writing <p|r> and <Psi|p> in a function form like you did with <x|Psi>. Generally, you want to put things in a single representation, like the position space, so you might ask yourself how far you can go to do that.

If you have a free particle, e.g., then Psi(r)=Psi_x Psi_y Psi_z, and similarly for the momentum space wavefunction. Can you see how doing the above steps would make things much more simplified?

7. Sep 21, 2009 #6
    Thank you both. I think what javier says is simple to write explictly the expresions for <p|r> and <psi|p>
    in space representation but that would only complicate even more the final expression(sorry if I misunderstood you)
    So will try Avodyne's approach and I will very much appretiate any comments on this :
    Since we need to express the final result in terms of [itex]\psi(\vec{r})[/itex] only, we will change momentarily from X,Y,Z to the C.S.C.O X,Y,P_z. The desired probabilty is [itex]<\psi|P_n|\psi>[/itex]

where
    [tex]P_n=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy\int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx\int_0^\infty dp_z |x,y,p_z><x,y,p_z|[/tex]
    [tex]<\psi|P_n|\psi>=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy \int_{x_1}^{x_2}dx \int_0^\infty dp_z |<x,y,p_z|\psi>|^2[/tex]
    where
    [tex]<x,y,p_z|\psi>=\int<x,y,p_z|\vec{r'}><\vec{r'}|\psi>d^3r'=\int<x,y,p_z|x',y',z'><x',y',z'|\psi>d^3r' [/tex]
    [tex] =\int\delta(x-x')\delta(y-y')<p_z|z'>\psi(\vec{r'})d^3r'=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dz' \psi(x,y,z')e^{-ip_z z'/\hbar}[/tex]
    is this what you meant Avodyne?

8. Sep 21, 2009 #7

Avodyne

Science Advisor

9. Sep 24, 2009 #8
    Thank you Avodyne! I really appreate your help because a have no other means to deal with this matters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook