1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculation of the adjusted mean

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four runners A,B,C, and D ran 100m each. The time taken, in seconds by each runner can be considered as independent observation from a normal distribution with mean 14 and SD 0.2 . A runner E ran 400 m. THe time taken by E can be considered as an observation from a normal distribution with mean 58 and SD 1.0 independent of the times taken by the other runners. For the four runners A,B,C and D , find the probabiltiy that A is the fastest runner. Find also the probability that runners C and D (in any order of arrangement) are the slowest runner.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Maybe some hints to get me started on both parts of the questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Re: probability

Does your first question mean "What is the probability A is the fastest runner among A, B, C, and D?" (with runner E not coming into play at all?) If so,
    I know you typed their distributions, but what does the information tell you about the distributions for A, B, C, and D?

4. Aug 14, 2010 #3

I thought of this:

P(A-B>0) x P(A-C>0) x P(A-D>0)

and P(A-B>0)=P(A-C>0)=P(A-D>0)

but the problem is the calculation of the adjusted mean and SD. Take A-B for example,

E(A-B)=E(A)-E(B)=0

so P(A-B>0)=P(Z>0)=0.5 ?

and the required probability would be (0.5)^3 ?

5. Aug 14, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Not quite: think this way: A, B, C, D are identically distributed: if you have four identical items, what is the probability of selecting A (as the smallest)?

6. Aug 14, 2010 #5

oops maybe i have been thinking too much. The answer is simply 1/4. Am i right?

7. Aug 14, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

:). Good

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook