1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability with normal distributions

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The time taken by Smith to travel from A to B is a random variable which follows the normal distribution , with mean 5 minutes and standard deviation 1 minute. The time taken by Jones to travel from A to B follows the normal distribution with mean 15 minutes and SD 2 minutes and is independent of the time taken by Smith. Smith and Jones start to move from A to B at the same time. Smith takes only 4 minutes to reach B and then he returns to A. Determine, up to 3 significant figures the probability that Smith will return to A after Jones arrive at B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Do i calculate the probability that Jones take less than 4 mins to reach B? If so, the probability is simply 0 so this is wrong.

Or do i take this as a conditional probability question since Jones is known to have arrived at B? If so, i am stucked here.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2
    Re: probability

Smith's time is 4 + X where X ~ N(5,1).
    Jones's time is Y where Y ~ N(15,2).
    You want to find P(4 + X > Y).

This is assuming the time it takes to get from B to A has the same distribution as the time to get from A to B.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3
    Re: probability

thanks awkward, that seems to be the probability that smith has returned to A once jones reaches B.

i interpreted it as the prob that smith is about to move from B once jones has reached B but this probability is 1 so i will take your suggesttion. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook