Calculation of the reduced stiffness of a simple suspension

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
Semat10
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have a problem with reducing a stiffness of a front suspension. Unfortunately I don't understand how to get the reduced stiffness on the right side in the picture. (k_f=k/cos^2E)

front_suspension.jpg


Thanks in advance for your help.

Many greetings,
Semat10
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical stroke equals the inclined stroke times the cosine of angle ε.
 
Hello,

I was thinking the same thing but I don't know where the square came from?

Many greetings
 
The force of the vertical spring must be less than ##N_f*cos (ε)## ; therefore, the vertical stroke must be proportionally smaller ##(cos (ε))## than the inclined one (accounted for twice).

##k_{vertical} = N_f / {Vertical~stroke} = N_f / {Inclined~stroke}*cos (ε)##

##k_{vertical}/k_{inclined}=?##
 
Last edited: