Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive How to find "equivalent stiffness" of the suspension system?

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    Dude i have a problem to find the equivalent stiffness (k') and damping (c') of this equation ? thank youvery much physics forum

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    You may want to look into potential energy methods

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    You add up and combine all of the spring energies taking into account springs in series act like resistors in parallel, then you factor out your x or theta if its rotational isolating the stiffnesses. Potential energy V=k(eq)*x^2

You'll end up with something like V=( terms with k )*x^2

6. Apr 13, 2016 #5
    Not sure how to factor dampers into a stiffness i feel like they would be ignored

Only other thing i know to do is to write out the fbd of your masses and the middle section on the 2nd image, laplace transform the system equations and get the transfer functions but I'm not sure if that helps you

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted