Calculation: Time for a spring index plunger to release

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the person is trying to calculate the time it would take for an index plunger to release from the fixed to the sliding plate. They need to determine the force at the fixed plate, the force at the sliding plate, and the distance the plunger can travel.
rustie2013
Hi,

I need to calculate the time for an index plunger to fully release. Can anyone help.

The basic setup is simple. It pretty much identical to a collapsible loft ladder. Within a sliding mechanism, we have a fixed plate and a sliding plate. A plunger is housed within the fixed plate. This plunger is compressed as it is pressed against the sliding plate. The sliding plate has a through hole in it. As this sliding plate slides across the fixed plate the through hole will at some point align with the spring plunger. At which the plunger will be free to release.

The challenge is the moving plate moves very quickly. I need to ensure that the spring plunger can release quickly enough to guarantee the plunger engages into the sliding plate. Can anybody suggest how I can calculate the time for the plunger to release.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rustie2013 said:
Hi,

I need to calculate the time for an index plunger to fully release. Can anyone help.

The basic setup is simple. It pretty much identical to a collapsible loft ladder. Within a sliding mechanism, we have a fixed plate and a sliding plate. A plunger is housed within the fixed plate. This plunger is compressed as it is pressed against the sliding plate. The sliding plate has a through hole in it. As this sliding plate slides across the fixed plate the through hole will at some point align with the spring plunger. At which the plunger will be free to release.

The challenge is the moving plate moves very quickly. I need to ensure that the spring plunger can release quickly enough to guarantee the plunger engages into the sliding plate. Can anybody suggest how I can calculate the time for the plunger to release.

Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Do you have any drawings and/or pictures that you can upload or link to? It's hard to understand the setup just from your word description.

We would also need to know things like weights, friction coefficients, etc., to be able to help you set up the calculations...

Hi, I think for now I can keep things very simple. Friction can be ignored.

All I need to do is determine the time it would take for this index plunger to release. A sketch of the index plunger can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdunol8hvco3q24/Index Plunger.jpg

I need to determine the time for the plunger to travel from F2 to F1.

I know the following:

force @ F2 = 24N
force @ F1 = 9N
Distance plunger can travel Aka distance between F2 to F1 = S = 0.003m

I don't think anything else is needed? I just cannot piece it all together!

1. How is the time for a spring index plunger to release calculated?

The time for a spring index plunger to release is calculated using the formula: time = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the plunger and k is the spring constant.

2. What factors affect the time for a spring index plunger to release?

The time for a spring index plunger to release is affected by the mass of the plunger, the spring constant, and the initial compression of the spring.

3. Can the time for a spring index plunger to release be changed?

Yes, the time for a spring index plunger to release can be changed by altering the mass of the plunger, the spring constant, or the initial compression of the spring.

4. How accurate is the calculation for the time of a spring index plunger to release?

The calculation for the time of a spring index plunger to release is fairly accurate, but it may vary slightly in real-world conditions due to factors such as air resistance and friction.

5. Can this calculation be applied to other types of springs?

Yes, the calculation for the time of a spring index plunger to release can be applied to other types of springs as long as the appropriate values for mass and spring constant are used.