1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculator Vs computer precision

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    Calculator Vs computer....precision

Im doing a simple research to find out which device is better for calculations

Valueof π
    On scientific calculator = 3.141592654
    on computer calculator = 3.14159265359

How do I find percent error?

And would this difference have any impact on calculations performed in rel life? An example would be nice thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Re: Calculator Vs computer....precision

Welcome to PF, mc2_phy! :smile:

How about WolframAlpha: http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=pi&x=0&y=0
    Not that you can click on More digits if you are not satisfied with the precision.

The percentage error is the error divided by the number.
    On your scientific calculator that is ##{3.141592654 - 3.14159265359 \over 3.14159265359} = 4.1 \times 10^{-10}##.

For real life calculations, the difference won't matter.
    For more exotic calculations, such as in advanced physics, it does matter.
    An example is GPS. For the calculations involved you need more precision than either your scientific or computer calculator gives.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    Re: Calculator Vs computer....precision

What do you mean by "computer calculator" ? Computers have much more power than any calculators so in principle you can write better calculation software even on the worst computers today.
    Also there are pi calculating programs out there like y-cruncher with which you can compute million digits of pi for seconds( I think its limited to trillion digits) on the cheapest PC you can buy today.
    In real life scenario so many digits would be absolutely useless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook