Calculting the length of a solenoid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 11K views
Taylor_1989
Messages
400
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement


Q2

A Cu wire of circular section and diameter 0.2 mm is used to form a one-turn coil and also to form a solenoid. Both have a radius of 2 cm. In both cases, a 10 mA current flows through the wire.

a)Work out the magnetic field H in the centre of the one-turn circular coil.
b) In the second instance, when the wire was wound 500 times to form the solenoid, work out the magnetic field H and B inside the solenoid, far from the edges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


So I am having a issue with my ans to the mark scheme ans for this question, so my first correct, but when I go to calculate the second part this is where thing go a miss.

The equation I am using for magnetic field intensity is
$$H=\frac{I \cdot N}{L}$$
Now from the question I think L is the length of the conductor, which I believe to be 4cm 2 time the diameter.

But when I got to check my answer, it states that
$$L=N*r=500*0.2mm$$
which is the diameter of the wire, but how is this the length of the solenoid, could someone please explain, or have I miss understood the question or worse the physics?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
Now from the question I think L is the length of the conductor, which I believe to be 4cm 2 time the diameter.
For the field within a solenoid, L is the length of the solenoid. (What matters is the number of turns per length: N/L.)
 
I am not sure what you mean by number of turns per length, 1000/0.04, how dose this related to the diameter that thye have given, has I can't see how the diameter is playing a role in this.
 
Taylor_1989 said:
I am not sure what you mean by number of turns per length, 1000/0.04, how dose this related to the diameter that thye have given, has I can't see how the diameter is playing a role in this.
Assume that the solenoid is just one layer thick. So the diameter of the wire, and the number of turns, tells you the length of the solenoid.
 
But is the question not saying that I have a long peace of wire, I then form a circular loop with that wire, which has a radius of 2cm so the actual wire length is 4cm. I mean could then get that same 4cm wire and form 1000 loop with it it still 4cm? This is how I am seeing the question.
 
No, treat these as two separate problems. You have a spool of wire and you make a single loop with the given radius. The length of the wire is 2*pi*r, of course.

For the solenoid you'll be making 500 loops, so you'll need more wire. (500 times more!)
 
AH! okay, thank you, now it make sense, I kept thinking I have a wire of 4cm and that was it, I did think it was strange that it was saying 500 turns but I ignored (which I shouldn’t of).

Once again thank you, I will try to read the question more carefully next time.