Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces)

In summary, the correct units for g are m/s2 and multiplying these units by kg/m2 results in N/m2. In the second line, the use of trig functions is to apportion the load between the two supports. If the angle were zero, the answer would be 490 N for each force. However, this may not be the correct way to solve the problem.
samstim
Homework Statement
Hey guys Im not sure if did my homework question corectly can someone please help me verify my answers.
Relevant Equations
Cosine Law
Sine Law
Forces
20191002_191638 (1).jpg
20191003_190759.jpg
20191003_190806.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first line you multiply 50kg/m2 by 9.8N to get 490N.
What are the correct units for g? What do you get if you multiply those units by kg/m2?

In the second line you use trig functions to apportion the load between the two supports. What is your reasoning for that? What answer would you have got if the angle were zero?

In future, please post algebra as typed in text. Images are for diagrams and textbook extracts.

Thank you
So for the first line would I do 50kg/m2 × 9.8 m/s2 = 490 N
For the second line I used horizontal components because my teacher said something about using them to solve the problem. If the angle was zero then the answer would be 490 N for each of the forces but I don't think that correct. Can you please explain the correct way to do question A

Last edited:
samstim said:
So for the first line would I do 50kg/m2 × 9.8 m/s2 = 490 N
No, ##kg/m^2\times m/s^2=N/m^2##.
What have you left out that has dimension m2?

1. What is Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces)?

Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) is a type of problem-solving activity that involves using calculus concepts to analyze and solve problems involving vectors and forces. This can include finding the magnitude and direction of vectors, calculating forces and their effects, and solving related equations.

2. Why is Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) important?

Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) is important because it helps students develop a deeper understanding of calculus concepts and their applications in real-world scenarios. It also allows students to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common topics covered in Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces)?

Some common topics covered in Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) include vector operations, vector-valued functions, dot and cross products, Newton's laws of motion, and work and energy problems involving forces. Students may also encounter problems involving calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals in the context of vectors and forces.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces) problems is to practice regularly. Try to solve a variety of problems from different sources, such as textbooks, online resources, and past exams. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.

5. Are there any resources available to help with Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces)?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with Calculus Homework Check (vectors/forces). These can include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems and solutions, and study guides. Your teacher or school may also offer extra help sessions or tutoring services. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance if you need it.