Calculus II - Alternating Series Test - Convergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt to determine whether a series is convergent or divergent using the alternating series test and the test for divergence. The student first analyzes the limit of the series and finds it to be 3/2, which does not satisfy the second condition of the alternating series test. The student then checks with the test for divergence and concludes that the series is divergent. However, upon checking the answer in the textbook, it is stated as convergent. The conversation ends with the student realizing that the series is indeed divergent and noting that the textbook may have made a mistake.
captcouch
Hello! I was working some practice problems for a Calc II quiz for Friday on the alternating series test for convergence or divergence of a series. I ran into a problem when I was working the following series, trying to determine whether it was convergent or divergent:

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]
n=1

Homework Equations

Alternating Series Test:
For an alternating series

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n-1bn
n=1

to converge, it must satisfy the following conditions:

1. bn+1 ≤ bn for all n in the series
2. lim bn = 0
n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞

Test for Divergence of a Series:
If the limit as n approaches infinity of a series does not exist or does not equal 0, the series is divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first began by analyzing the limit as n approaches infinity for the series. By dividing the coefficients of the highest exponential power of the top and bottom (in this case, 1), I found the limit of the series to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It did not satisfy the second condition of the alternating series test, and as such, I sought to double-check with the Test for Divergence of a Series.

(-1)n's limit does not exist, as it is always alternating back and forth between -1 and 1.

[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]'s limit, as mentioned above, I found to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex].

From this information, I concluded that the limit did not exist, and that the series was divergent.

I decided to check the answer from the back of the textbook, and it said it was convergent! I ran through it again a couple of times and got the same result: divergent. I'm not sure what I did wrong here - could I please have some insight from someone else to shed some light on the situation? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
captcouch said:
Hello! I was working some practice problems for a Calc II quiz for Friday on the alternating series test for convergence or divergence of a series. I ran into a problem when I was working the following series, trying to determine whether it was convergent or divergent:

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]
n=1

Homework Equations

Alternating Series Test:
For an alternating series

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n-1bn
n=1

to converge, it must satisfy the following conditions:

1. bn+1 ≤ bn for all n in the series
2. lim bn = 0
n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞

Test for Divergence of a Series:
If the limit as n approaches infinity of a series does not exist or does not equal 0, the series is divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first began by analyzing the limit as n approaches infinity for the series. By dividing the coefficients of the highest exponential power of the top and bottom (in this case, 1), I found the limit of the series to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It did not satisfy the second condition of the alternating series test, and as such, I sought to double-check with the Test for Divergence of a Series.

(-1)n's limit does not exist, as it is always alternating back and forth between -1 and 1.

[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]'s limit, as mentioned above, I found to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex].

From this information, I concluded that the limit did not exist, and that the series was divergent.

I decided to check the answer from the back of the textbook, and it said it was convergent! I ran through it again a couple of times and got the same result: divergent. I'm not sure what I did wrong here - could I please have some insight from someone else to shed some light on the situation? Thank you very much!

I'll tell you what's wrong here: your book. That series is definitely not convergent.

Man, you've got to be kidding me. Nobody's perfect, I guess. I'll be sure to tell my professor in the morning. Thanks for the help!

The most fundamental theorem about infinite series, typically the first proved in a textbook, is
If [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n\ne 0[/itex], then [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] does NOT converge.

1. What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a method used to determine the convergence of alternating series, which are series where the terms alternate in sign (positive and negative).

2. How do you apply the Alternating Series Test?

To apply the Alternating Series Test, you must first check if the series alternates in sign. Then, you must check if the absolute value of each term decreases as the series progresses. Finally, you can use the limit comparison test or the ratio test to determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the condition for a series to converge using the Alternating Series Test?

The condition for convergence using the Alternating Series Test is that the absolute value of the terms must decrease as the series progresses, and the limit of the absolute value of the terms must approach zero.

4. Can the Alternating Series Test be used for all alternating series?

No, the Alternating Series Test can only be used for alternating series that meet the required conditions. If the series does not alternate in sign or if the terms do not decrease in absolute value, the test cannot be used.

5. How does the Alternating Series Test differ from the Integral Test?

The Integral Test is used to determine the convergence of a series by comparing it to an improper integral. The Alternating Series Test, on the other hand, is specifically used for alternating series and compares the absolute value of the terms in the series. Additionally, the Integral Test can be applied to both convergent and divergent series, while the Alternating Series Test can only be applied to convergent series.