1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II - Alternating Series Test - Convergent?

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Hello! I was working some practice problems for a Calc II quiz for Friday on the alternating series test for convergence or divergence of a series. I ran into a problem when I was working the following series, trying to determine whether it was convergent or divergent:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]
    n=1

2. Relevant equations
    Alternating Series Test:
    For an alternating series

[itex]\sum[/itex] (-1)n-1bn
    n=1

to converge, it must satisfy the following conditions:

1. bn+1 ≤ bn for all n in the series
    2. lim bn = 0
    n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞

Test for Divergence of a Series:
    If the limit as n approaches infinity of a series does not exist or does not equal 0, the series is divergent.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first began by analyzing the limit as n approaches infinity for the series. By dividing the coefficients of the highest exponential power of the top and bottom (in this case, 1), I found the limit of the series to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. It did not satisfy the second condition of the alternating series test, and as such, I sought to double-check with the Test for Divergence of a Series.

(-1)n's limit does not exist, as it is always alternating back and forth between -1 and 1.

[itex]\frac{3n-1}{2n+1}[/itex]'s limit, as mentioned above, I found to be [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex].

From this information, I concluded that the limit did not exist, and that the series was divergent.

I decided to check the answer from the back of the textbook, and it said it was convergent! I ran through it again a couple of times and got the same result: divergent. I'm not sure what I did wrong here - could I please have some insight from someone else to shed some light on the situation? Thank you very much!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2
    I'll tell you what's wrong here: your book. That series is definitely not convergent.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    Man, you've got to be kidding me. Nobody's perfect, I guess. I'll be sure to tell my professor in the morning. Thanks for the help!

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The most fundamental theorem about infinite series, typically the first proved in a textbook, is
    If [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n\ne 0[/itex], then [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] does NOT converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook