1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Calculus II book to really understand

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    I'm taking Calculus II and my class is a flipped classroom so I am excited to finally be able to learn in a way that works for me. However, I am having some trouble finding resources to help me truly understand the material. Ideally, a book would introduce topics in a way that explains the problem that inspired the creation of the concept in the first place. So for derivatives, it could talk about a problem in physics that they needed to know the instantaneous rate to solve. Then it would kind of guide you to figure out how to approach such a problem on your own and to find a method to solve for the derivative.
    I am a math education major, so maybe i need to get used to vigorous proofs but I feel that that would confuse me more. I think I would do better to have a book that doesn't contain any math at all (no formulas or proofs). I am pretty good at deriving things when I understanding them so the important thing is that I find a book that helps me to understand the concepts. I'm currently learning about vectors in 3d space and I can't even find that in many of the calculus II books I've looked at so thats another problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2
    I would check out George Simmon's Calculus with Analytic Geometry or Streetwise Guide to Calculus series. Both books are written very well, and from a perspective of education.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Awesome thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted