Calculus II book to really understand

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of finding resources to help understand Calculus II. The individual is excited about the flipped classroom approach but is struggling to find a book that explains concepts in a way that connects them to real-life problems. They prefer a book without complicated proofs and formulas and are currently learning about 3D vectors, which has been difficult to find in calculus books. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for two well-written books, George Simmon's Calculus with Analytic Geometry and Streetwise Guide to Calculus series, which approach the subject from an educational perspective.
visuality
I'm taking Calculus II and my class is a flipped classroom so I am excited to finally be able to learn in a way that works for me. However, I am having some trouble finding resources to help me truly understand the material. Ideally, a book would introduce topics in a way that explains the problem that inspired the creation of the concept in the first place. So for derivatives, it could talk about a problem in physics that they needed to know the instantaneous rate to solve. Then it would kind of guide you to figure out how to approach such a problem on your own and to find a method to solve for the derivative.
I am a math education major, so maybe i need to get used to vigorous proofs but I feel that that would confuse me more. I think I would do better to have a book that doesn't contain any math at all (no formulas or proofs). I am pretty good at deriving things when I understanding them so the important thing is that I find a book that helps me to understand the concepts. I'm currently learning about vectors in 3d space and I can't even find that in many of the calculus II books I've looked at so that's another problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would check out George Simmon's Calculus with Analytic Geometry or Streetwise Guide to Calculus series. Both books are written very well, and from a perspective of education.

bacte2013 said:
I would check out George Simmon's Calculus with Analytic Geometry or Streetwise Guide to Calculus series. Both books are written very well, and from a perspective of education.
Awesome thanks!

What topics are typically covered in a Calculus II book?

A Calculus II book typically covers topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, sequences and series, polar coordinates, and vector calculus.

What are some strategies for understanding Calculus II?

Some strategies for understanding Calculus II include practicing problems regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and using visual aids or real-life examples to understand abstract concepts.

What are some common challenges when studying Calculus II?

Some common challenges when studying Calculus II include understanding the abstract concepts, keeping track of various formulas and methods, and applying the concepts to real-world problems.

What are some additional resources that can help in understanding Calculus II?

Some additional resources that can help in understanding Calculus II include online tutorials and videos, practice problems and solutions, and study groups or tutoring services.

Is it possible to understand Calculus II without a formal course or textbook?

While it is possible to learn Calculus II through self-study or online resources, having a formal course or textbook can provide a structured approach and access to additional resources such as practice problems and teacher support. It is generally recommended to use a combination of self-study and formal resources for a comprehensive understanding of Calculus II.