Calculus Shoebox (help create a creative yet simple problem)

• Thread starter physicsbhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: Sound Recorder to make a MP3 that says "In summary, the shoebox says 'SOLVED'" at the end.In summary, the shoebox says "SOLVED."
physicsbhelp

Homework Statement

Make up a RELATED RATE word problem and illustrate it in a shoebox, using small toys, cutouts, pipe cleaner figures, play dough, etc. Don’t make your problem too hard, but it must involve calculus.

1. Clearly written statement of the problem (separate from box as well as IN box).

2.Answer key for problem; include labeled drawing, formulas, and complete solutionThis information should be inside the LID of the box and also on the back of theproblem statement.

I can't think of an example to do that is creative enough. Like our teacher gave us these really creative ideas that past students have done, so I need to think of a CREATIVE yet simple problem for the shoebox!
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

WELL, we were thinking of doing someone bungee jumping, but that complicated and trite.
So, we need some ideas. Last year, one person did soccer and how when a goalie blocks the soccer ball kicked by another player and that forms a triangle so that's how they created a related rates problem with that.
i don't want to copy that, so we need a totally different yet unique idea.
any suggestions are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can Someone Please HELP ME WITH THIS! i will be eternally grateful!

The self unwrapping package. In the package is a daycounter; it can be set from 1 until 7. If the number of days passed is equal to the preset number some springs come loose and tear the wrapping paper. Design of the shoe box is that it suppresses the sound made during that moment. The giver g of this shoebox promisses the receiver r that it will be a surprise whether or not the package is unwrapped u or wrapped w when the box is opened.
On the seventh day it is not a surprise because r then knows it will be u. But if g puts the counter to 6, r cannot open the box on the 6th day because he knows that it can't be seven and five days are pastso the counter must be on 6.

It seems that g cannot keep his promise. If r opens the box after three days there is 50% change on w and 50% chance on u. Is that a schrodinger shoe box or not?

WOW WOW WOW that is way to complicated. i just need a simple relate rates problem. but like can someon make one up for bowling or for something creative! please! but the calculus derivative part can be simple! PLEASE HELP ME!

Demanding a suggestion for a "creative" problem is a little, uh, uncreative. If you have vast creative resources like pipe cleaners and play-doh and toy figures, why don't you concentrate on them for the creative part. Chose a simple related rates problem and illustrate it creatively. I mean just put a light bulb in the corner of the box and talk about how the rate of change of the length of the shadow depends on how fast you are moving towards the light and how far you are from the light. Now think of a creative scenario.

Last edited:
yes thank you dick, but that is the problem. the shadow concept it so commonly used. that is why i need a new related rates problem, its not the stuff i make the BOX out of. like i need an example of how you could do related rates with bowling or what not.

Hi. I actually have to do this exact project in my calculus class, and the teacher is counting this as a test grade, so it is a pretty big project. Anyway, I really need help in developing a situation for a related rate word problem. If anyone could help, that would be really great.
Thanks

as you problably have seen from my former suggestion I live with the question:

What is a related rate word problem?

SOLVED! how do i make it say that this thread is solved.??

physicsbhelp said:
SOLVED! how do i make it say that this thread is solved.??

So what DID you put in your shoebox?

i did my own creative idea. sorry I am not sharing. i don't want anyone to have it. SORRY.
so again, how do you make this say [SOLVED]?

I don't know. Isn't it under Thread Tools? I don't see it, but then I didn't start the thread.

physicsbhelp said:
i did my own creative idea. sorry I am not sharing. i don't want anyone to have it. SORRY. [SOLVED]?
That seems pretty poor to me. Asking for others to share their ideas and then not sharing your own...

physicsbhelp said:
i did my own creative idea. sorry I am not sharing. i don't want anyone to have it. SORRY.
so again, how do you make this say [SOLVED]?

Can't you record a *.wav file with a microfone?

Pere Callahan said:
That seems pretty poor to me. Asking for others to share their ideas and then not sharing your own...

well Callahan, if you read the thread properly, no one shared their ideas with me, so I am not willing to share mine. you have no room to talk.

Dear physicsBhelp
No-one asked: what is a related rate word problem! If you don't want to say how you solved your problem OK But why not help if some-one, OK perhaps a little too late asks you what was the problem in the first place?
No-one says ugh.

JANm said:
Dear physicsBhelp
No-one asked: what is a related rate word problem! If you don't want to say how you solved your problem OK But why not help if some-one, OK perhaps a little too late asks you what was the problem in the first place?
No-one says ugh.

Oh my gosh, a relate rate word problem has to do with Calculus. Anyone who has ever studied Calculus should know what related rates are! and what a word problem is, just put them together. It's like a math problem in Calculus (speficially related rates meaing using derivatives). And your post doesn't even make sense. i Know no one asked what a related rate problem was because everyone knew, so why are you bringing that up. and no one has asked for help!

You're very friendly, physicsbhelp.

rochfor1 said:
You're very friendly, physicsbhelp.

Thanks Rochfor1, so are you.

Im glad you think so.

1. What is the concept behind "Calculus Shoebox"?

Calculus Shoebox is a creative problem-solving technique that involves visualizing a complicated mathematical problem as a physical object, such as a shoebox. This helps to break down and understand the problem in a more tangible way.

2. How does one create a "Calculus Shoebox" problem?

To create a "Calculus Shoebox" problem, start by identifying a complex mathematical problem that you want to solve. Then, think of a physical object that can represent the different components and variables of the problem. Finally, use the object to visually represent and solve the problem.

3. Can "Calculus Shoebox" be used for all types of mathematical problems?

Yes, "Calculus Shoebox" can be used for a wide range of mathematical problems, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is a versatile technique that can be applied to almost any problem that involves visualizing and solving equations.

4. What are the benefits of using "Calculus Shoebox" to solve problems?

Using "Calculus Shoebox" can help to make complex mathematical problems more tangible and easier to understand. It also encourages creative thinking and problem-solving skills, as you have to come up with a physical representation of the problem. Additionally, it can be a fun and engaging way to learn and apply mathematical concepts.

5. Can "Calculus Shoebox" be used in a classroom setting?

Yes, "Calculus Shoebox" can be a useful tool in a classroom setting. It can help to make math more interactive and engaging for students, and can also be a helpful way to visualize and solve problems. Teachers can also use it as a teaching tool to demonstrate various mathematical concepts.