1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Solving for Present value of payments

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You value a car to be $30,000. If you plan to make continuous payments over 5 years and at an interest rate of r = :1.

1) How much should you pay per year so that the present value of your total payments in 30; 000?
    2)What if instead you decided to let your payments increase with time and pay at a rate of $6000 + t1000 per year, where t is measured in years. How long would it take you to pay o the car ? (Note the equation you get might be dicult to solve, so you can use a graphing calculator to estimate.)

2. Relevant equations

The formula that i think i should use is

PV = PMT(1-(1/(1+i)^n)) / i

3. The attempt at a solution

For part 1:

solving for PMT I got 7913.48. Did i do that correctly?

For part 2:
    Im not too sure how to approach this. Do i use the same equation and solve for t? I assume the t is the same as the n i used in my pv formula, is this correct?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does r = :1. mean? What does making 'continuous payments' mean?

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does r = :1 mean? Do you mean to write r = 0.1? Is that the *annual* rate (that is, the interest rate is 10% per year)?

Your formula is for discrete payments at regularly-spaced points in time, but the problem asked for a *continuous* stream of payments, and presumably using *continuous* compounding/discounting. That will turn an arithmetic/algebraic problem into a calculus problem! So, you need the formulas for continuous-time discounting.

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    I'm pretty for q1 you need to use a continuous paying annuity formula which is [itex] PV=PMT*((1-v^n )/delta) [/itex] where [itex] delta=ln(1+r)[/itex] and [itex] v=1/(1+r) [/itex]

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am 100% sure you should not use this formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted