Calculus Substitution Rule Alternative Method

In summary, the substitution rule in calculus is a method for evaluating integrals by substituting a variable in place of a function or expression. It works by replacing a variable in an integral with a new variable, which is then integrated with respect to the original variable and simplified. The alternative method, also known as the u-substitution method, should be used when the integral contains a function or expression that can be simplified using the chain rule. This method can simplify complex integrals and allow for a greater range of functions and expressions to be integrated, while also aiding in understanding the relationship between derivatives and integrals.
eurythmistan
Hi,

I'm not sure if this should actually be in the "homework" section instead. I'm posting it here because it's more of a pedagogy question, I think, but I could be wrong about that also.

Ok, I tutor calculus, and when I do u-substitution, I always solve for something (not always dx), so that when I replace the variables, all the x's get replaced at once. There is no "mixing" of x's and u's in the same integral. However, I've noticed some of my students use a method whereby they always solve for dx, and then replace just some of the x's, have some u's mixed in, and then cancel out the rest of the x's for the next step. This to me just looks wrong, and contradicts most if not all the references I've seen on the topic. It's also not the way I'm inclined to work through the problem naturally.

I realize that one should get the same answer either way, so is there any good reason to tell them that I think they should do it my way, other than that I think they'd be able to follow the examples in a textbook better?

ETA: I realize this may be a non-issue, so feel free to give that answer, too.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I think that mixing x and u terms is a product of being told what u to use in the substitution. In practice, if you don't know which u to use, you are looking for one which will let you go straight to the finish line. For working through the calculations, I don't see any harm in mixing the terms as long as none are leftover after the substitution is complete...it is just showing the work. However, to justify why students should get into the habit of dropping the intermediate step--I would say it will help them to build intuition which will be necessary later on.

Hi there,

As a fellow calculus tutor, I can understand your concern about the different methods used by your students for u-substitution. In my experience, there is no one "right" way to do u-substitution and ultimately, it should come down to what works best for each individual student. Some students may find it easier to solve for dx and then replace variables, while others may prefer solving for something else and replacing all the x's at once.

The important thing is that they understand the concept of u-substitution and are able to apply it correctly to solve the integral. As long as they are getting the correct answer, I don't think it's necessary to insist on a specific method. However, it may be helpful to explain to your students the reasoning behind your preferred method and how it can make the process more efficient and less prone to errors.

Ultimately, the goal of tutoring is to help students understand the material and find the approach that works best for them. If your students are able to successfully apply u-substitution, then I wouldn't worry too much about the method they use. However, if you feel that their method is causing confusion or errors, it may be worth discussing it with them and offering alternative approaches. Hope this helps!

What is the substitution rule in calculus?

The substitution rule in calculus is a method for evaluating integrals by substituting a variable in place of a function or expression. It is often used to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve.

How does the substitution rule work?

The substitution rule works by replacing a variable in an integral with a new variable, which is typically chosen to make the integral simpler. This new variable is then integrated with respect to the original variable, and the resulting expression is simplified and solved for the original variable.

What is the alternative method for using the substitution rule?

The alternative method for using the substitution rule is also known as the u-substitution method. It involves substituting a variable u for a function or expression within an integral, then using the chain rule to simplify the integral and solve for the original variable.

When should the alternative method for the substitution rule be used?

The alternative method for the substitution rule should be used when the original integral contains a function or expression that can be simplified using the chain rule. This method is often used for integrals involving trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

What are the benefits of using the alternative method for the substitution rule?

The alternative method for the substitution rule can often simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It also allows for a greater range of functions and expressions to be integrated, as compared to the traditional substitution rule method. Additionally, it can be a useful tool for understanding the relationship between derivatives and integrals.