• B
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
There are some steps I haven't got a clue, and some others I should have, but ain't.
Hi, PF
First I will quote it; next the doubts and my attempt:

"In mathematics, trigonometric substitution is the replacement of trigonometric functions for other expresions. In calculus, trigonometric substitution is a technique for evaluating integrals. (...)
Case I: Integrands containing ##a^2-x^2##
Let ##x=a\sin\theta##, and use the identity ##1-\sin^2\theta=\cos^2\theta##
(...)
Example 1
In the integral
##\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}}##
we may use
##x=a\sin\theta,\quad{dx=a\cos\theta\,d\theta,\quad{\theta=\arcsin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{a}}}}##
Then,
##\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}}=\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{a\cos\theta\,d\theta}{\sqrt{a^2-a^2\sin^2\theta}}}##
##\qquad{=\displaystyle\int{\displaystyle\frac{a\cos\theta\,d\theta}{\sqrt{a^2(1-\sin^2\theta)}}}}##
##\qquad{=\displaystyle\frac{a\cos\theta\,d\theta}{\displaystyle\sqrt{a^2\cos^2\theta}}}##
##\qquad{=\displaystyle\int{d\theta}}##
##\qquad{=\theta+C}##
##\qquad{=\arcsin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{a}}+C}##
The above step requires that ##a>0## and ##\cos\theta>0##. We can choose a to be the principal root of ##a^2##, and impose the restriction ##-\pi/2<\theta\<\pi/2## by using the inverse sine function." (Source: Wikipedia, "Trigonometric substitution".)

Doubts:
(i)- ##dx=a\cos\theta\,d\theta##: how is it derived?; any relationship with the Chain Rule?.
(ii)- It is required ##a>0## and ##\cos\theta>0##; every nonnegative real number has a unique nonnegative square root, called the principal square root or simply the square root. Am I right?:
(iii)- ##-1\leq x\leq 1## and ##-\pi/2\leq y\leq## are the domain and the range of ##y=\arcsin{(x)}##. I've plotted it, etc; should I explore ##x=\arcsin{(y)}##? It's clear that ##y=\cos{(x)}## is positive at the first and fourth quadrants.
Well, as you can see, I've put together doubts and attempt.
Greetings!
Trig_Sub_Triangle_1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
(i)- ##dx=a\cos\theta\,d\theta##: how is it derived?; any relationship with the Chain Rule?.
$$x = a\sin \theta \ \Rightarrow \ \frac{dx}{d\theta} = a\cos \theta \ \Rightarrow \ dx = (a\cos \theta)\ d\theta$$
mcastillo356 said:
(ii)- It is required ##a>0## and ##\cos\theta>0##; every nonnegative real number has a unique nonnegative square root, called the principal square root or simply the square root. Am I right?:
Technically, you could use ##|a| = \sqrt a^2## in your solution. However, you might as well assume ##a > 0##, given that you have only ##a^2## in the original integral.
mcastillo356 said:
(iii)- ##-1\leq x\leq 1## and ##-\pi/2\leq y\leq## are the domain and the range of ##y=\arcsin{(x)}##. I've plotted it, etc; should I explore ##x=\arcsin{(y)}##? It's clear that ##y=\cos{(x)}## is positive at the first and fourth quadrants.
Well, as you can see, I've put together doubts and attempt.
Greetings!
View attachment 331790
In the original integral (assuming ##a > 0##), we have ##-a \le x \le a##. Hence ##-1 \le \frac x a \le 1##. This puts ##\frac x a ## within the domain of ##\arcsin##. The range of ##\arcsin## is ##[-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2]## and ##\cos## is non-negative on that range.

Last edited:
Likes mcastillo356 and e_jane
Hi, PF, PeroK
PeroK said:
x = a\sin \theta \ \Rightarrow \ \frac{dx}{d\theta} = a\cos \theta \ \Rightarrow \ dx = (a\cos \theta)\ d\theta
No chain rule. It is just the first derivative of ##x## with respect to ##\theta##, in the Leibniz notation.
Technically, you could use ##|a| = \sqrt a^2 ## in your solution. However, you might as well assume ##a > 0##, given that you have only ##a^2## in the original integral.
Personally, I prefer the second choice. I keep in mind the concept of ##a## as the principal root of ##a^2##: there must be a transition from ##a## squared to ##a>0##.
In the original integral (assuming ##a > 0##), we have ##-a \le x \le a##. Hence ##-1 \le \frac a x \le 1##. This puts ##\frac a x## within the domain of ##\arcsin##. The range of ##\arcsin## is ##[-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2]## and ##\cos## is non-negative on that range.
cosine & sine.png
Shouldn't it be ##\frac x a##?
PD: Post without preview.

mcastillo356 said:
Shouldn't it be ##\frac x a##?
Yes, fixed.

Likes mcastillo356

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals that involve expressions with square roots or quadratic equations. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral.

2. When is trigonometric substitution used?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integral contains a square root, a quadratic equation, or both. It can also be used to simplify integrals involving expressions with the form a^2 - x^2 or a^2 + x^2.

3. How does trigonometric substitution work?

Trigonometric substitution works by using the trigonometric identities to replace a variable in the integral with a trigonometric function. This allows for the integral to be simplified and solved using basic integration techniques.

4. What are the common trigonometric substitutions?

The most common trigonometric substitutions are:
- x = a sinθ
- x = a tanθ
- x = a secθ

5. What are the benefits of using trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution allows for the simplification of integrals, making them easier to solve. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different integrals, making it a useful tool in calculus.