Calculus: Wall/fence problem, minimizing cost

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: ACK, I get it now :)In summary, the length of the front of the site should be 4500 meters, the price of installing a fence at the front of the site is 16 shekels per meter, and the price of installing a fence on the sides is 10 shekels a meter.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A rectangle site, ABCD, whose area is 4500 meter squared, is adjacent to a wall on one side (see drawing).

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4457/qcalc.jpg

They fence the front of the site, BC, and its sides, AB and CD. The price of installing a fence at the front of the site (BC) is 16 shekels per meter, and the price of installing a fence on the sides (AB and CD) is 10 shekels a meter. What should be the length of the front of the site, so the price of installig the fence would be minimal?

Homework Equations

Calculus...

The Attempt at a Solution

attached. I basically tried to make a formula that relates area, prices and side lengths, and then took its derivative, set it equal to zero, find a min point (found only 1 point...) and then use the score at the original formula...

here's my attempt...how far off am I?

Attachments

• acalc.jpg
    acalc.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 654
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shalom femme

I think your area formula is wrong. Area is just WL.

then price function would be f = 16L+10W+10W

But WL = 4500

Shalom gam leha :)

Yes area is WL, but each W and L each come with their own price, so I figured it makes sense. No?

Otherwise, can you hint me at the right direction, please?

I have already written the price function. Since WL =4500 , W= 4500/L. so the price
function is

[tex]f(L) = 16L+ 20\left(\frac{4500}{L}\right) [/tex]

and you have to minimize this price function...

Oh, did you edit your post later? I only read the 1st two lines. Sorry. And thanks.

I'll go back trying to solve it now :)

I'm getting imaginary answers when I set the derivative equal to 0...that can't be it right?

Attachments

• derivative.jpg
    derivative.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 524
Don't bother with a common denominator.
[tex]a-\frac{b}{x^2}=0 \Rightarrow a = \frac{b}{x^2} \Rightarrow ax^2 = b[/tex]
with the condition that [itex]x \neq 0[/itex].

Also, from lower on in your work, [tex]\frac{16L^2-90000}{L^2} = 0[/tex] is not 16L2-90000=L2

femme, you are getting

[tex]16L^2 = 90000[/tex]

its simple equation. check your calculations again. no imaginary numbers here.

Excellent :) 75, and -75. Making perfect sense now.

And sorry for my algebraic mishap. I'm still knocking myself on the basics. You guys are great :)

ok... on physical grounds we reject -75 ...

Also, regarding the algebra, don't always head straight for the quadratic formula. Sometimes there are far easier methods of solution.

It's also good to verify that your answer is a minimum by taking the second derivative. (It would be bad if, in a case of multiple solutions, we picked one that maximized cost! :bugeye:)

@ Isaac - Yes, I realize -75 doesn' make sense based on physical grounds. Thank you :)

@ jhae - I checked it's a min by setting a number lower than 75 in the derivative and seeing a negative figure, then a number over 75, and seeing a positive figure. Definitely a min. Thanks :)

jhae2.718 said:
Also, regarding the algebra, don't always head straight for the quadratic formula. Sometimes there are far easier methods of solution.
Actually using a calculator to solve a quadradic formula, so it's pretty easy (I just plug in a, b, and c)

Femme_physics said:
Actually using a calculator to solve a quadradic formula...

:eek:

LOL, why the shocked face?

I'm generally of the opinion that calculator equation solvers are a black box to which most people plug numbers in and then "The Answer" comes out. (I'm not saying you're one of these, but just relating my general experience.) I think that you should only be allowed to use solvers that you have programmed yourself. (Well, for trivial cases, at least.)

Of course, I'm a hypocrite who uses MATLAB for everything, so...

Heh, well, I guess it's good to practice the mind, I'm also in engineering/physics so the general mood is "don't waste too much time on math because there's so much to learn, just plug it in if you can".

1. What is the calculus wall/fence problem?

The calculus wall/fence problem is a common optimization problem in calculus that involves determining the dimensions of a rectangular enclosure (such as a wall or fence) in order to minimize the cost of construction while still meeting certain specifications, such as a required area or perimeter.

2. How is calculus used to solve the wall/fence problem?

Calculus is used to solve the wall/fence problem by finding the derivative of the cost function, which represents the relationship between the dimensions of the enclosure and the total cost of construction. The derivative is then set equal to zero and solved for the optimal dimensions, which will minimize the cost.

3. What is the cost function in the wall/fence problem?

The cost function in the wall/fence problem is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the dimensions of the enclosure and the total cost of construction. It typically includes variables such as the cost per unit length of the material used and the dimensions of the enclosure.

4. What are the constraints in the wall/fence problem?

The constraints in the wall/fence problem are the specifications that must be met in order for the enclosure to be considered acceptable. These constraints can include a required area, perimeter, or ratio of dimensions, and must be taken into account when finding the optimal dimensions to minimize cost.

5. What are some real-world applications of the wall/fence problem?

The wall/fence problem has many real-world applications, including determining the dimensions of a fence or wall to enclose a garden or backyard, finding the most cost-effective dimensions for a billboard, and optimizing the layout of a sports field or track to fit within a given budget.